Chapter Twenty

Of course, the moment that they returned to the main floor, accompanied by Alaric, many seemed stunned. When they walked into the study, all guards present moved to attack, but Belinda stood in the way, swords stopping inches away from her. The guards lowered their weapons and stepped back when Zaeley ordered so.

"How did you managed to bring him back?" Zaeley asked.

"I did nothing." Belinda smiled at Elif. "She did. Guess true love is capable of many impossible things."

"Welcome back," Denarus said from across the room, a smile on his lips.

"What is going on?" Belinda asked.

"Niko captured a traitor and has made him talk. Now, we have all of their locations," Zaeley said as she stared at something spread out on the desk in front of her. "I want them all dead."

Belinda stepped closer and her eyes fell upon a detailed map of all the islands. Some had small circles that seemed to move sometimes to a different location. "How did you managed to do this?"

"With the help from a couple of witches," Elisa said.

"And we can trust them?" Asked Alaric.

"Of course. They have been allies since the beginning."

"I'm going to see the babies." Belinda turned to head upstairs, but she lost all strength and fell to her knees. When someone tried to help her, she shoved them away and screamed at the top of her lungs, agonizing pain enveloping her. Her body quivered over and over as she tried to breathe, but it brought intense pain that threatened to devour her.

"She hasn't fed?" Alaric sounded beyond aggravated. "What the fuck are you waiting for?"

"She refuses to feed."

"What? Why?"

Belinda shoved Fane away when he tried to get close. "I'm fine!"

"You look far from it!"

"Enough!" It was Elif. "It was me—I showed her a vision of her losing control and killing Fane. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have—"

"Seers should never reveal their visions," Zeref said, glaring. "Instead of helping her, you clearly made her follow the path she tried to avoid.  Isolating herself from those who care from her will only push her into madness faster."

"I'm so sorry—I was just trying to—" When Elif fainted, Alaric caught her. Belinda moved but she once again fell to her knees as her body began to shake out of control. She bent over and coughed, black blood pouring from her lips.

Against her wishes, Fane swopped her up in his arms and within seconds, they were in the room across from the one her children slept in. When he put her back on her feet, she clung to his shoulders, her legs wobbled and threatened to give out again.

"You need to feed."

She managed to let him go and reach the bed without collapsing. "I know."

He cupped her face, forcing her to meet his gaze. She despised how his loving gaze made her weak. "You should have told me the truth."

She shook her head, tears sliding down her cheeks. "It wouldn't change anything."

"Whatever Elif showed you...it can be changed."

Belinda managed to make distance. "I can't take my chances. You didn't see what I did. I wish I could easily ignore everything and be by your side and our children...but I can't." His lips parted, but before he could speak, she continued. "It is because I love you all that I will walk away once this is over. I can't stay here knowing that I could turn not only against you, but also our children." She folded her arms over her chest and held his gaze. "Please respect my decision."