Chapter Eighteen

For a brief moment, Fane stood on the riverbed before he turned to go after his beloved, but he froze when a something that seemed made from plants wrapped around Alaric and yanked him into the water. Elif screamed. When she tried to run to help him, the water rose up and out jumped a siren. Before she landed on the floor her tail transformed into human feet and a dress appeared, covering her body.

Fane moved and stood in front of Elif before the siren had a chance to attack. Around them, everyone was either pulled into the water or being attacked by the water faeries. The Siren smiled at Fane.

"You will regret letting that child of yours come into the world." She looked around and grinned. "Where is your beloved?"

Fane's eyes widened when his shoulder hurt, as if something had pierced through it. The siren swung her hand and from within the waters came plant-like ropes that wrapped around his wrists. When he was jerked forward, he pulled until the plants tore apart and released him.

He moved as fast as he could and managed to wrap his fingers around the siren's neck before something jerked him back.

As Fane was pulled toward the water and away from Elif, the siren smiled at him. She faced Elif and within seconds a dagger was airborne. Fane fought against the plants holding him captive, but his body was engulfed in an agonizing blazing pain that made him lose all strength.

His eyes widened and he tried to connect to his beloved, but if was futile. He couldn't sense her at all. Before he was dragged into the river and into the ice-cold waters, Alaric, covered from head to toe in blood managed to intercept the dagger. The tip pierced his chest as Elif scream at the top of her lungs.

Fane was surrounded within seconds by three mermaids. When a sweet chanting invaded his mind, he sensed their power trying to control him, make him want to not fight at all. For a moment, he was enveloped in it, wanting to drown with the beautiful creatures.

Something too fast to register grabbed him by the arm and before he knew it, he was back on the riverbed, on all four, coughing. His eyes settled upon slim legs before he lifted his gaze to meet the electric blue ones of Armelle.

"Now, you owe me two favors." She smiled before darting into the water and jumping into it. Fane stood upright. All the wolves and leopards had shifted and managed to kill a couple of sirens.

"Fane." He turned his head to meet Keisha's gaze. "We were attacked by your aunt—Denarus got there in time." Niko tried to make sure his mate was okay. "Where are Kassie and Belinda?"

Keisha wouldn't look at anyone. "They headed back to the mansion. Fane, your aunt infected Belinda." His eyes widened as she met his gaze, clearly fighting back tears. "She didn't look well at all."

Without a word, Fane moved forward to head to the castle, desperately wanting to make sure his beloved was well.

"Elif, no!" At Alaric's concerned voice, everyone halted. 

Elif let go of the dagger that had pierced Alaric's chest as black lines spread too fast. Alaric managed to catch her before she collapsed to the ground. Fane stood frozen, not knowing what to do as the lines covered her entire body within seconds.

"Help her! Call Elisa!"

Fane shook his head. "The spell......forgive me, but there's nothing no one can do."

Everyone fell silent as Alaric, a man feared by many broke down when he realized his child was dead the second Elif touched the dagger and soon Elif would as well. In that moment, Fane understood Alaric's decision to break the law and infect his mate with his venom without her consent, not once caring if the spell affected him.

When he was done and she didn't wake, his eyes lifted from her to Fane and they were consumed by darkness. Before he had the chance to do anything, Fane moved and snapped his neck.

Fane stood frozen, not knowing what to do. Anyone else would have exterminated Alaric in that instant; he had shut off everything—soon becoming one of the beasts.

But how could he when he was the sibling of his beloved?