Chapter Seven

Belinda had no idea where the strength came from, but she managed to get loose and shove Star out of the way.

Then, she was sprinting through the woods, feeling as if her heart was being torn to shreds. She remembered well where one of the portals was located. 

Before she was able to leap into it, something crashed against her. She struggled against Star, then attempted to strike her with her closed fist on her chin, except that she never connected. 

An invisible force slammed against Star, sparks evoking all around them, sending her airborne. She hit the ground hard before rolling to a stop a couple of feet away.

Wide-eyed, Belinda stood, staring at the bracelet her mother had gifted her, which now had fire flickering through it.

When she was attacked, it hadn't been Fane's gift that had saved her life, but her mother's.

Star staggered to her feet, hair a mess, battered and bruised. "Belinda, it is a trap."

"How can you ask me to stay here...I can't." Belinda whirled around and leaped through the portal, thinking of her town as she did. One moment, she was enveloped in darkness, then she slammed hard against the floor of her house.

"Mom!"

Her mother came running from the kitchen, her eyes growing wide when she spotted her. When Belinda stood, she was engulfed in a hug as she cried.

"You shouldn't have come."

Belinda found it difficult to speak when she couldn't control her sobs. "I couldn't stay in the cabin...I have to try to help somehow."

Together, they headed to the police station to request to speak to her father. The moment they walked in, everyone's eyes were on them.

Police Chief Corinna exited her office and greeted them, appearing way too friendly. "Let's speak in my office—"

A gasp escaped Belinda when her mother slapped Corinna. When everyone stood, Corinna told them to stand down. "You know my husband is innocent—He would never—"

"Come with me, please."

With evident reluctance, Belinda's mother took her hand and started to follow Corina into the office. Once there one of the police man pressed a button beside the door. At the soft flicker of a red hue over the walls of the room, Belinda's eyes narrowed. "What on earth was that?"

"It prevents anyone outside this office from prying into our conversation," Corina said as she opened a laptop and played a video that revealed her with Belinda's father speaking to the girl at the hospital. Belinda's eyes watered when out of nowhere her father pulled his gun and shot the girl in the head. The only nurse present ran out, screeching.

Belinda lowered her gaze as tears trickled down her warm cheeks.

"My husband is innocent and you all know it."

Wide-eyed, Belinda glanced at her mother. "Mom, the camera footage doesn't lie."

"Actually, it's glamour."

Belinda met Corina's bright green eyes before she stood beside the door. "Someone has betrayed us all and we need to find out who before it's too late." Before Belinda could say anything, Corina motioned them to follow her and they did.

They walked in the section of the cells and the moment Belinda saw her father, she rushed to him. Once the cell was opened, Belinda and her mother hugged him.

"What exactly happened?" Belinda asked.

Corina hesitated for a moment. "The girl took the gun from your father and took her own life. Whoever did this, is powerful enough to have the cameras show something that was not real.  The nurse present saw what you saw in the footage, but I saw the truth...humans can be easily deceived."