CHAPTER TEN

Belinda sat down on the couch of the living room and folded her arms over chest. "Why am I not allowed in the town meeting?"

"Are you talking to yourself?" Denarus came from upstairs. "Or were you asking me?"

She stood and shot him a look. "No—I was talking to my imaginary friend."

He narrowed his eyes. "You need help."

"Oh, shut it! I was being sarcastic!"

"I know." He smiled. "Hey, I'm not in the meeting either."

"Because they want you to keep an eye on me—but I just can't understand why I couldn't attend."

He hesitated for a moment. "The meeting is to decide wether you stay or not."

"I already told my father that I would leave...I don't want to stay here anymore."

"I believe they wouldn't stand in your way...if they actually trusted Fane. If they allowed you to leave and he turned out to be the killer...We would have failed as Slayers."

"I understand, but—" Belinda sat back down. "I miss my friends."

Denarus took a seat beside her before standing to look out the window. After he pushed the curtain to the side, he rushed outside. Without hesitation, she followed him, coming to a stop when she spotted Star.

Star lowered her head. "I didn't come to cause trouble."

"What's going on?" Belinda asked. "Is Fane alright?"

"Please, come with me."

Denarus held Belinda's arm. "She isn't going anywhere, so leave."

"Why are you all so hell bent on keeping her from Fane? You all know...you all know they need each other."

Denarus fell silent for the longest. "Fine, but I'm going with you."

"I will not bring a slayer to the cabin." Star hissed. "You are not welcomed there."

"Then she doesn't go either so leave."

"Denarus, I'll be safe with her."

He pulled Belinda closer. "I have no guarantee that she is who she claims to be."

"Fine." Star's eyes glistened with tears. "Follow me."

Through the walk to the portal, Star said nothing. Belinda's heart was aching as she prepared herself for the worse.

Star walked through the portal first, then Belinda took Denarus' hand and leaped through. On the other side, Denarus landed without a sound on his feet and in an instant, Niko growled in disapproval.

"He's a friend." Belinda stood in front of Denarus.

Abraham came from the foyer. "Star, what were you thinking brining the Slayer here?"

"He's her guardian...we have no choice."

A tall female came from the kitchen, her gorgeous curls bouncing with every step she took. "Are you kidding me? This—this is her?"