Chapter One

"I cannot believe you are going out there," Alexander said, looking at Lafayette with a perplexed expression as the Frenchman tied a scarf around his neck. "Biggest storm of the year, and you're going to a fucking coffee shop."

"Oh lay off him Alex, maybe he'll finally find his true love," John said, his tone made it clear he was mocking him. "Love beneath the storm, wouldn't it be beautiful?"

"I don't care what either of you say, I'll find him one day. Then I'll laugh at both of you for not believing in me," Lafayette pulled a jacket around himself. "Au revoir." As the door to their apartment swung open Lafayette immediately felt the cold wind make his face burn.

He stepped out, looking at the dark-clouded sky. It was definitely going to rain, that fact was quite evident. Plus, it was freezing, only adding to the horridness of the weather.

But if there was one thing Lafayette was, it was determined. He had a paper to finish, one that he hadn't even started, that was due tomorrow. He knew all John and Alex would do is heckle him if he tried to finish it at the apartment, so he found it better to go to the café down the street.

As the icy wind blew in his face, making his eyes water, he semi-regretted his decision. But the café wasn't far, and he had a paper to finish, and he definitely was not going to face John and Alex, who would most likely badger him as soon as he opened the door.

The door handle was just as frigid as the surrounding air when Lafayette placed his hand on it. He ignored the cold and pulled the door open, feeling the warmth of the shop melt the chill in his bones as he walked in.

"Hey Laf," Eliza greeted him, her smile bright. "The usual?"

"Oui," Lafayette came to the place often, his best friend Eliza worked there, and practically all of the staff knew him.

He took his seat in the back corner of the room, a window to his left. He pulled out his laptop, pulling up the paper. Two paragraphs, he had two paragraphs and the minimum was three pages.

He groaned rubbing his temples, placing his hands on the keys.

Then he heard a sound from outside, the sound of hail crashing into pavement. It grabbed Lafayette's attention, his eyes darted towards the window to see that it was in fact hailing.

He sighed, letting his head fall to the table.

"Great, looks like I'm going to be here for a while."