Chapter 5

Liam's POV

"Noah? Hey, I know you! It's me! Daniel, remember?" Daniel's eyes lit up as he looked at Noah, who shook his head. "I'm afraid I don't remember." Daniel, surprised, pulled Noah aside, much to my discontent. Before I could go over to them, Dakota pulled on my arm. "How about we go ahead to dinner, and they'll meet us after?"

I could tell she was trying to be seductive, but it didn't work. Instead, I looked back at the two as Noah's face turned deathly pale, his eyes boring into me. His expression immediately caused panic to rise in my chest, and I pulled away from Dakota, marching over to them.

"Noah? Are you okay?" I reached out, attempting to touch his arm. Noah flinched, backing away from me and hiding behind Daniel. Anger and confusion swirled inside of me as I watched Daniel hold Noah's shaking form, whispering in his ear. Another unknown emotion made itself known as I clenched my fists, wanting nothing more than to be the one consoling Noah.

His attitude didn't change through dinner, either. He sat diagonal from me, next to Daniel. Dakota chattered away in my ear, Daniel glancing at Noah who had stayed quiet the entire time. Hundreds of questions ran through my mind. How did Daniel know Noah? Why is Noah avoiding me? Why is Daniel the one he trusts? What's going on?

Once the dinner was over, I waited for Noah after saying goodbye to Daniel and Dakota. Noah, however, seemed glued to Daniel as they left. "Hey, Liam, I need to talk to Noah for a bit. I'm gonna take him with me, okay?" I grit my teeth, nodding as Noah took off with Daniel, leaving me and Dakota behind.

Then, a shocking realization ran through me. Was Daniel the father? Is that why Noah was so clingy? But, why didn't he tell me? If that's the case then... He doesn't need me to him protect anymore. Maybe that's why he's avoiding me. My mouth went dry,  a bitter taste in my mouth as I watched the pair leave.

I finally realized what this feeling was, that made me so angry at seeing Noah with someone else. Jealousy.

Noah's POV

"Noah, please, talk to me." I looked at Daniel's worried face. Sighing, I spoke. "What do you want me to say? I just realized that I've spent the past month being the secretary of the one man I never thought I'd see again! How could I not have realized it?! Now I'm stuck between the decisions of quitting my job and moving far far away, or telling him and risking his wrath!"

Daniel looked at me with pity in his eyes. He didn't know exactly how I was feeling, but he knew it wasn't sunshine and rainbows. "You... You can stay with me for a while, until you decide what to do. That way you won't have to face him alone. I can come to work with you as well. My work can be done anywhere, and I don't spend enough time outside of the office anyway."

I smiled, allowing Daniel to pull me into a hug. "Thank you, Daniel." After that, he took me to his house, giving me one of the many guest beds, and even saying he'll send someone to get clothes for me. "I'll pick you up and drop you off, and we can have lunch together as well."

Once I was situated, I found myself alone in the large bedroom. The soft mattress swallowed me up when I sat down, and I had to sleep in a sitting position or risk never being able to get up.

When morning came, Daniel made good on his promise, taking me to the company. We walked together as we approached Liam's office. Knocking, a grunt of approval rang out behind the door. Opening the door, Liam saw me, smiling slightly. But his smile vanished when he saw Daniel, a sour mood spreading through the office.

"Hey, Liam. I decided to join you guys for a while, it's been some time since we've hung out, after all. And I wanted to see you when you work."

"Did you now." Liam replied, his voice dripping with malice. "Come on, Liam, just cooperate, okay?" Liam shot me a look, nodding slowly. "Noah, can I talk to you?"

I followed Liam into a smaller room, gasping as he pushed me against the wall. "He's the father, isn't he?" Liam growled. Fear crept up in my chest. "N-no... He's not."

"Then why are you so friendly with him?!"

"Can't I be friends with someone without being questioned?!" Liam leaned in. "No, because you're mine. And I won't let you go." Before I could speak, Liam pushed his lips against mine.

I struggled underneath his weight until I managed to push him away. My face darkened with anger. "I'm free to be friends with whomever I choose. You cannot simply question my choices with the reasoning of 'I'm yours.' I belong to no one, and if you ever touch me like that again, we are going to have a problem. I am your secretary, nothing more, nothing less. If you need relief, go find a woman."

I stomped away, tears falling as I slammed the door on Liam, collapsing into Daniel's outstretched arms.