Chapter Nine: Babysitting

The door opened. Mr. Halter forced a fraction of a smile. 

"Hey," he said, holding the door for me. "Come in,"

I stepped inside. It was a nice house. Small, but very nice.

He also looked nice. He had a suit on. Shirt, tie, jacket, the whole thing. 

"Leo's upstairs sleeping. He should stay that way. He usually waits until at least 4am to start screaming, and I'll be back before 1:30. TV's in there," he gestured to the room to his right. "Just go in, make yourself at home, watch some movies, and I'll be back in no time and this will be over and done with." 

I nodded my head, but stayed silent.

He reopened the door. "I'll see you later,"

"Yeah. Bye," I said.

The door shut, and then he was gone.

I wandered into the sitting room. It was also quite small. The TV was about half the size of my own. The walls were cluttered with paintings. Unframed canvases were everywhere, encircling the room. 

And they were beautiful.

I forgot about the TV for a few minutes. I wandered around the room, looking at the various paintings. They were beautiful. And they were all signed JH. James Halter. He was a fantastic artist, there was no denying that. I would have loved to have learned from him. If only things were different...

I eventually sat down and put on the TV. I watched a few bad reality TV shows for a while. 

Hours passed. 

At midnight I rose from the couch to look for the bathroom. On my way there, I found even more paintings, and some photographs. They were mostly of him - Mr. Halter - and a little boy, presumably Leo. There was one with another person - a woman. A beautiful woman with long, black hair and piercing blue eyes. Seeing her smiling next to James made me feel strangely inadequate, and possibly even a little jealous. 

I kept walking, and eventually found the bathroom. Once finished, I returned to the sitting room. I returned to watching trashy television shows about dog pagaents, weight loss competitions and gameshows. 

As the clock slowly ticked on, I felt my eyes growing heavier, as I drifted off into a deep sleep. 

I awoke to a loud crash. Startled, I jumped up from the couch and rushed out into the hallway. The door was open, and Mr. Halter was... staggering inside. He was leaning against the table for balance, where he appeared to have knocked off a number of books, and the landline phone.

I stared at him, shocked, unable to move. His eyes were red. His shirt was undone. He reeked of alcohol. 

"A-are you okay?" I asked. 

He grabbed the door handle and slammed it shut. 

He turned and looked at me.

"Allison," he breathed out, in a sigh of what sounded like relief. He walked towards me slowly, his heavy footsteps echoing through the entire house. Instinctively, I backed away from him.

"No," he groaned, reaching out for my hand, dragging me towards him. I was completely frozen. He held my stiff hand in his and with his other, ran his fingers down my cheek. 

I swallowed down hard and shut my eyes. He was drunk. Extremely drunk. Out of his mind. I needed to block this out.

"You're all I need," he whispered. He was closer now. I could feel it.

He leaned into my neck. I felt my back hit the wall behind me. My eyes opened and my heart thudded in my ears. I tried to move, but his entire body was pressed against mine, trapping me between him and the cold, hard wall.