Chapter Eight: Waiting

I lay on my bed and closed my eyes. I had entered the house as quietly as possible, and I was pretty sure I hadn't woken up Ben. I felt tears slip from my eyelids and run down my cheeks. I sniffed and curled up under the covers, my whole body shaking. 

Somehow, despite the endless tears, I fell asleep. 

*

That Monday, I walked into detention ten minutes late. Everyone looked up to watch my entrance, including Mr. Halter himself. 

"Sorry," I said. "It won't happen again."

He merely nodded his head. I sat down at a table near the back, far away from everyone else, and started at my homework. 

But all I could think of was what had happened on Saturday night, and what was going to happen this Friday. I didn't want to babysit for him. I didn't want to be alone with him ever again. I was afraid of what he might say to me. I was afraid of him. 

An hour later, after absolutely no homework had been done whatsoever, detention ended. One by one, the detainees filed out of the classroom. I heard someone clear their throat.

"Allison, can I talk to you?"

My heart thumped faster than ever as I politely nodded my head and stepped away from the door, towards Mr. Halter's desk. The last person out the door closed it behind them. We were completely alone. 

The pattern of the floor tiles suddenly caught my attention.

"How does 9:30 sound?"

I glanced up at him, confused.

"What?"

He blinked twice. "Friday. Babysitting. Remember?"

"Oh, right. Yeah. I remember. Sorry."

Mr. Halter leaned on the desk with both hands. "Well, is 9:30 alright?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, that's fine."

"I live at 513 Cedarwood. You know where that is?"

"Yeah," I said. 

He looked at me with eyes dark and empty. I wanted to look away, but couldn't. The silence rung loud in the air between us. I wasn't sure how to feel.

"Look, Allison, I-"

The door suddenly swung open. Mr. Halter shut his mouth. We both turned to see who it was. 

A boy who had been in detention a few minutes earlier was staring at both of us. 

"I, uh, forgot my bag," he muttered, as he manoevered past us towards the desk at the back, where an abandoned bag lay. I took this as my opportunity for a quick getaway.

"I should go," I said. "I'll see you on Friday."

Mr. Halter nodded his head. "Yeah. Okay."

I rushed out of there as fast as I could.

*

Needless to say, when Friday came, I was dreading 9:30. 

As I rifted through my wardrobe, trying to find something to wear, my fingers brushed against the soft white fabric of that dress... The dress I wore that night. Memories burned in my mind. Images of him - when I knew him as James. Blurred, drunken kisses. Laughing, running, heart pounding. Hands on my waist, on my dress, under my dress... No dress.

I shut my eyes. But that didn't stop me from remembering.

I could never forget the feeling of waking up in a strangers arms, in a dark room, not knowing what had happened. Not knowing who I was anymore.

I pulled a pair of dark jeans out from my wardrobe and quickly pulled them on. I picked up my bag and went downstairs. My mother and Walter were sitting together. They smiled up at me. 

"The car's waiting outside for you," Walter said.

"I was actually gonna walk," I said. "It's not far."

My mother frowned at me. "Allison, don't cause trouble." 

I sighed. "Alright. I'll take the car."

"Remember to call when you're finished."

I nodded my head. "Yeah, sure." 

I left the house and sat into the waiting car, which took me directly to Cedarwood. I hated being driven around like this. I liked the freedom of walking wherever I pleased. I hated the confinement of an empty back seat.

We arrived just on time - it had just turned 9:29. 

I thanked the driver, and reluctantly left the car. I walked to the front door of 513 Cedarwood. I knocked twice.