Chapter Five: Detention

I was late.

I slept through my alarm clock. I got dressed as fast as I could, and ran most of the way there, but even still, I was fifteen minutes late to class.

The corridors were hauntingly silent. I cursed my timetable for scheduling me to have History class now - which is located right at the back of the school. It seemed like the only sound for miles was the echo of my footsteps against the tiled floor.

I finally reached the classroom door. I hesitated momentarily, before stepping inside. 

The entire class watched my entrance. Mr. Wilson turned to face me.

"Ms. Rousseau, glad you could make it," he said, with a smug smile on his face.

"I'm sorry," I said. "It won't happen again."

"You're nearly twenty minutes late - there's no excuse for that. Detention today, after school."

I walked to my desk, slumping down in my seat, feeling defeated. I had never gotten detention before.

Mr. Wilson suddenly appeared in front of me. I looked up at him, confused.

"Your homework, Allison, where is it?"

My heart sunk.

"I'm so sorry, sir, I was in a rush - I left it at home-"

"Well, you really do like detention, don't you? Detention today, and every Monday following that, for the rest of the month. How does that sound?"

I thought it was best not to answer.

I sat by myself at lunch. Georgia was sitting at Andrew's table today - which really isn't my scene. 

For a moment, I worried what my mom would think about me getting detention. Until I realised that she probably wouldn't even notice. 

Four detentions, all because of a faulty alarm clock. Today was not my day.

I expected the detention hall to be fairly empty - as it was the second week of school. Not that many people have had time to commit any crimes yet. 

But there was actually a pretty good turnout. I counted about eleven of us. There were the usual suspects, and a couple outcasts, such as myself.

I never thought about which teacher would be supervising detention. Like I said, this was my first time, so I had no experience with how the system worked. I certainly never thought that it would be Mr. Halter. 

He opened the door and stepped inside. He sat down at his desk. And then he saw me.

His eyes only landed on me for half a second, but in that half second, he succeeded in making me feel utterly worthless.

He cleared his throat. "Okay, you guys can do what you want - talk amongst yourselves, just as long as it doesn't get too loud. Some of us have work to do," he lifted a heavy pile of papers out of his bag. 

I was the only one to not start talking. I opened my bag and instead began my homework. I had no one to talk to, anyways. I didn't want to make it obvious.

I couldn't concentrate. All I could think about was him. 

I wondered if he was thinking about me.

No, that was ridiculous. He removed me from his class, he removed me from his life. Why would he bother thinking about me? I was nothing to him. Nothing. Just a bad memory.

I resorted to doodling. I couldn't write an essay like this. My mind was all over the place. I took out my markers and started creating, drawing pictures all over the blank piece of paper, until it was completely littered with sketches - just small pictures, observations, designs. It was an uncontrollable habit of mine.