Chapter Six: Commissioned

"Allison!"

I turned around, to see Georgia running across the hallway towards me.

"Hey!" she exclaimed. "I feel like I never see you anymore! How are you?"

"Fine," I shrugged.

"I miss you," she tugged at my arm playfully. "You absolutely have to come to this party this weekend - Andrew knows these guys in college, they've invited us up to their apartment, it's going to be so fun."

I wasn't so convinced.

"Um, you know, I think I'm busy this weekend."

She frowned at me. "How busy?"

"My stepdad has some event I have to go to - and I really can't get out of it."

Before Georgia had time to reply, a huge shadow fell over us.

"Miss Rousseau, Miss Greenback, just the ladies I was looking for!"

We both looked up to see the principal, Mrs. Schwartz, towering over us. She was a very tall woman, big boned, with waist length blonde hair and circular glasses. She wasn't your average principal.

"Hello, Mrs. Schwartz," Georgia smiled.

"Hi," I said.

"I was just talking to Mr. Halter, you're both in his art class, right?"

"I am," Georgia said. I remained silent. I had been in his art class. Until I'd been kicked out.

"Well, he and I were speaking earlier about creating a second mural for the school, on the wall behind the basketball courts. And I know that you two ladies would be perfect for the job. Georgia, you've had your paintings exhibited all over the city, and Allison, of course, is to thank for our first school mural," she smiled down at me.

I forced a smile back. I had been commissioned to help with the first mural in my second year here. I accidentally ended up doing all of it. I tried to avoid it, if I could. I hated looking at my work. It wasn't my best, either. It was too much. I couldn't narrow down my ideas. It was a mess.

"Mr. Halter proposed his sophomore class take it on, but I told him I knew the perfect artists for the job. Oh - here he comes now. Mr Halter!"

My heart sunk. I had to act now.

"Um, I have to go-"

"It will only take a minute, Allison." Mrs Schwartz assured me.

I wasn't getting out that easily.

Mr. Halter walked, with great reluctance, towards us.

"Hello, Mrs. Schwartz. Girls." he nodded towards Georgia and I. 

Mrs. Schwartz was tall, but even she needed to crane her neck to look up at Mr. Halter.

"I was just speaking to these two ladies about the second mural you and I were discussing. I told you I'd find the best one for the job. Georgia tells me she's in your art class."

"Yes, she is." he said.

"I've seen Georgia's paintings before and I really think she could come up with something beautiful for the wall behind the court, what do you think?"

"Yeah, definitely. I've seen nothing but fantastic work from her. She's more than capable."

Dr. Schwartz grinned. "Wonderful! And I'm sure you've seen the mural on the wall near the auditorium?"

He nodded his head, his eyes suddenly wide and interested. "Of course. I'm lucky enough to park in front of it everyday. It's absolutely amazing. Why? - Did you paint it?" he looked at Georgia.

"What? No - oh, no. Allison did."

He looked at me. And this time, he didn't look away. I did.

"Is that true?" I heard him ask.

I glanced up at him tentatively. "Um, yeah. I helped with it in sophomore year-"

"Helped?" Georgia rolled her eyes at me. "Every single drop of paint on that wall was painted by you and you know it. She's just modest, sir. Don't believe a word she says." 

From the looks of it, he didn't believe a word I was saying. He stared at me, shocked. 

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Mrs. Schwarthz enthused. "And I know she's not in your class, but trust me, if you're making a mural, you need her on board."

I swallowed down hard. "Um, thank you, but I'm just so busy, I don't know if I could find the time to paint another mural."

Mrs. Schwartz pursed her lips. "Why don't you think about it, then get back to us? You, too, Georgia."

"Alright." we agreed.

Mr. Halter cleared his throat and averted his gaze. "Right. I'll talk to some other students, try to get some ideas, and hopefully, volunteers."

"Excellent. Well, I really should be on my way. Have a nice day, ladies. You too, Mr. Halter."

Mr. Halter wavered for only a moment, before he left too.

"I'll see you around," he muttered. 

And then he was gone.

*

That Saturday, as I slipped into my long black dress, preparing for yet another upper class black tie event that I was obliged to attend, I found myself thinking about Mrs. Schwartz's proposition. I wasn't exactly lying when I said I was busy. But I would be lying if I said I didn't want to do it. Since I'd been exiled from art class, I hadn't had a lot of time to be creative. I missed that. 

But then my conscience kicked in. I couldn't say yes. Mr. Halter would be there, working on it. He'd made it pretty clear that he didn't want anything to do with me. Participating in something like this was out of the question for me. 

The door creaked open. Ben stood in the doorway, clutching an action figure in his hands. 

"Why do you have to go, Ally?" he whined.

I sighed. "That's what I want to know."

Suddenly, my mother appeared in the doorway. "Allison, don't complain like that. It's not attractive.  You should be happy - not every girl has the luxuries that you have."

"I know," I said. 

"Are you ready? The car is waiting outside."

"Yes," I picked up my bag and glanced in the mirror. I had let my long hair curl naturally. I quickly fixed it, then went on my way.

I crouched down to my knees and kissed Ben on the forehead.

"I'll see you later." I said.

"Okay," he mumbled. "Can we get icecream when you come home?"

I smiled. "Yes."

I walked downstairs and outside towards the car. I climbed inside and sat in silence as we drove to the hotel. I didn't even know what the occasion was for. Something to do with Walter's law firm. Either way, I didn't care.

As we got nearer and nearer to the hotel, a bad feeling of foreboding began to grow in the depths of my stomach. Like I knew something was going to go terribly wrong.

I ignored it. 

But little did I know, my instincts were right.