Chapter 35

When Fall came around again, life has been flipped and dragged in every direction until everyone was settled into a content space. Alex had started taking online classes and was working part time and Roman was a full time student.

Every night, no matter how busy their days had been, they found themselves tangled up in each other. After the most gruesome of exhausting days, they settled for soft kisses and light caressing instead of long conversations. It was more than enough to wipe away the stress that they carried.

Alex patiently worked with Roman on his more challenging work and Roman rubbed Alex's back as he rushed to finish essays. They happily took on the adventure of babysitting when Tori and Ashley went out once a month, when they had the time.

Roman and Michael were on almost good terms. Roman had his hesitations, but took his father's phone calls and even called him in return. They went out when they had the time whether it was for a weekend of fishing or to grab a pizza to take back to their apartment. Mandy and Michael were working out their issues, but as of that Halloween they hadn't made a definite decision. Roman seemed content with that, seemed to be thriving again, and that was enough for Alex. They still had their moments where nightmares or panic attacks threatened to creep up on them, but this time there was no distance to keep them apart. There were no secrets or lack of words either.

He didn't realize how much they had longed for their next until Christmas rolling around and Liz anxiously eyed the baked goods on the counter for the fourteenth time. Roman shushed her soft counting and stole a few of the cookies closest to him. Liz glared and attempted to swat his hand only to find herself wrapped up in a tight hug by another set of arms.

"Roman, don't pick on her. It's not good for her old heart," Alex sighed. Liz pinched her son's nose but made no move to retract from him.

"What a year, huh?" She said quietly. Alex nodded, refusing to admit that his eyes may have watered when he glanced up at Roman. "Thank you boys for coming home for Christmas. I know how busy you are with school."

A delighted squeal from the foyer made Liz grin before she was running out of the kitchen. Roman looked up from his half eaten cookie with a slightly dazed smirk that made Alex chuckle.

"You're such a child," he sighed, brushing a crumb from his lover's bottom lip.

"I'm the manliest of men," Roman retorted, his nose scrunching as he flexed a muscular arm.

"Of course you are, dear," Alex laughed. "What were you and my dad talking about earlier?"

Roman swallowed hard before stuffing his half eaten cookie in Alex's mouth. "Nothing. Sports. Stuff."

"What an interesting combination. Too bad it's bullshit," Alex said, brow raised. "You've been shady lately and I'm gonna find out why."

"Yea, you will." Roman grinned before stooping down and kissing Alex hard.

Christmas morning was chaos. The living room floor was lost under a flood of torn wrapping paper and ribbons while the furniture was filled with bodies sprawled out and grinning despite their exhaustion. Liz snapped pictures frantically while Alex tried to hide behind Roman. Tori's head rested in Ashley's lap, his fingers sifting through her hair as he sipped coffee from the mug in his other hand. Melani was making dramatic race car noises to accompany the car in the hand of the ever-growing small human driving his favorite gift up David's leg.

Alex took it all in hungrily and with an unstoppable grin. They had only missed this tradition so few times, but then it was back and it had grown. There was no sadness here. There was no confusion or fear. The house was bursting at the seams with love and hope.