Chapter 8

Alex was slightly startled when he woke up alone. His body ached and his empty stomach demanded attention. He dragged himself into a hot shower, cussing as he tried to clean himself without getting his cast wet. By the time he had deemed it good enough, the clock on his dresser said it was a little after noon.

He found Roman sitting at the kitchen table laughing with their parents. Three sets of amused and, disturbingly enough, curious eyes focused on him. The way his parents tried to hide their crooked smiles told him that they knew what had happened hours prior. He was a grown man, he told himself to try and alleviate the embarrassment. He cleared his throat and slid into an empty seat where he glared at the table, unable to control his flustered expression.

"How do you feel, honey?" His mother asked as she rose from her seat.

"I'm alright."

"Do you need your pain meds? I can-"

"I'm alright." He hushed Roman who was shifting nervously. He could feel Michael's eyes penetrating his skull as he picked at the hem of his shirt. A plate of hot food was placed in front of him, but his appetite was gone again. He could feel the tension mixed with the relaxed air of his parents. "What?" He questioned moments later.

Michael's expression didn't falter as he leaned forward slightly and said, "You do know the problems this is going to cause Roman, don't you?" He could feel Roman tensing next to him, no doubt shocked at the hint of malice in his father's tone.

"I don't see how what we do is anyone's business."

"Maybe that's your logic. He's a soldier, Alexander. He is going to go through enough without having to deal with this."

"My logic? I very well know what he is. You've made it clear that he never had a choice in the matter. He wouldn't have to deal with anything if you hadn't fucked up your own life. He's not a pawn, Michael." Alex realized he was raising his voice when Roman placed an arm around his waist and tried to lead him away.

Alex tore at his already short nails as he paced his room. Roman sat on the edge of the bed and watched with remorse pooled in his eyes. It was rare that Alex ever got angry, but when he did, it was best to wait until he had calmed before anyone even attempted to talk to him.

"He's right, isn't he?" Roman was startled by Alex's sudden calm tone.

"About what?"

"About this. What future can we have like this? Am I the only man you're sexually attracted to- how long will that last? Things are changing, but can you tell me you could live your daily life with people knowing your lover is a man; because I've never seen you even look at another guy. Is that even allowed? Will I be allowed to see you; will you be able to admit that you have a partner like other soldiers? We're barely adults. Who's to say that when you come home again we won't be different people? Would going through all of it have been worth it?" Alex unloaded, his shoulders heaving and his voice cracking.

Roman swallowed hard. His fingers laced on his lap as he fiddled his thumbs and waited for Alex to catch his breath. "I love you, Exi. I've loved you for a very long time. Nothing is going to change that. I don't know what my father's problem is, but it's irrelevant. We only have a few days together. We need to enjoy them." Alex stopped pacing. His eyes narrowed as he glared at the floor and sucked his teeth.

"They're saying that Tori's pregnant." Roman's neck snapped upwards so fast that he was temporarily dizzy.

"What did you just say?"

"You heard me. They're saying Tori's pregnant. She's telling people you got her pregnant before you left." Alex swallowed harshly and shoved his fingers through his hair. "Having you has been my dream for years, Ro. But maybe that's all it was ever meant to be."