Chapter 22

Alex sat on the end of the couch with his knees drawn up to his chest and his chin resting on top lazily as he waited for Ashley to pick a movie.

"Stop pouting," Ashley sighed.

"I'm not pouting," Alex whined, burying his face inside his shirt. "I just don't understand why we couldn't go with them."

"It's a girls day. Is there something you wanna tell me?" Ashley smirked when Alex rolled his eyes. "Didn't think so. Is it so bad having a day with me?"

"I'm just so bored," Alex groaned as he threw his arms around mindlessly.

"What would you and Roman have done?" Ashley asked with a genuine curiosity. Alex tried to force a smile at the innocent question. The painful knot in his stomach tightened, reminding him that it was still there.

"Who knows. Roman likes to do stupid stuff. Sometimes we would go eat and he would decide we should go to a playground like that was normal for teenagers to do, or we'd go to the movies or sometimes we'd end up fighting over a board game. He would lose and get mad, so he would knock it off the table and say it fell." Alex smiled sadly. "Can we just watch something now?"

Keys jingled and muffled footsteps shuffled on the other side of the door just as Ashley settled onto the couch with the remote. Alex gave Ashley a concerned look when someone cussed and a light thump followed. Ashley smirked as he stood up and headed for the door to assist whoever was having obvious trouble with the lock.

Melani was the first one to enter. Her cheeks were rosy and she was carrying a duffel bag in each of her hands. She tossed them beside the couch before she looked up and smiled at Alex.

"Moving in?" Alex quipped. Melani's lips lifted and stretched until she was smiling so widely that Alex felt compelled to take a step back.

A bang and a sharp cuss made both of them jump. Melani whipped around, unblocking the view of the front door. Alex's mouth closed with a snap and muffled the gasp that exploded from his chest. He blinked rapidly, his eyes unsure if they were misting or bulging.

"Ro," he breathed, a dull ache spreading in his ribs as his heart began to race.

Tori stepped aside leaving Roman to wheel himself in further. There were dark circles under his eyes and his cheeks were slightly gaunt. His baggy t-shirt covered the scars on his chest, though the edge of one could be seen from under the sleeve when his muscular arms lifted and opened in invitation.

Alex stared in confusion for a moment before he dove forward without hesitation. His smaller arms locked around Roman's neck, his face burrowing into Roman's firm chest. Roman's arms tightened around him, his fingers trembling as they pressed into Alex's back.

Alex's back began to ache from bending over in such an awkward position, and as if Roman could read his mind, Alex was tugged forward and forced to fall into Roman's lap.

"I'm here now, Exi," Roman breathed against Alex's ear. His voice trembled as much as his hands as he spoke. "I'm here."

"You came?"

"I came. I'm here. Breathe, Exi. Take a breath," Roman murmured against his jaw. Alex forced in a deep breath as his hands sought out Roman's, latching their clammy palms together tightly. "I'm so sorry, Alex."

Alex hushed him, closing his eyes and letting the sound of Roman's heartbeat sink in as he tried to process what was happening. "I've missed you so much," Alex croaked, the words making his throat ache.

"I missed you too, so much. I'm here now and I'm not leaving you again. Not unless you tell me too," Roman said firmly. Alex looked up with a tired lopsided smile. His thumbs wiped away the tears streaking Roman's cheeks.