Chapter 12

When I woke, Violet was slumped out on the bed, totally dead. I had the urge to dump some cold water on her, see how she likes it.

   I get dressed rather drowsily, still tired from last night. I stretched and winced. Urghh, not a good idea, my muscles were still aching like hell.

   I stuff some revision books into my tartan bag and walk out the door, glancing back at Violet on the bed. Lucky bitch. She didn’t have to work all day…

   I went down the fitness room where tread mills and weight where lined up against the wall, and I groaned. My muscles where going to be ripped to shreds! Im not even sure why we had to do this, we had super strength anyway, but I guess it was to work our new muscles harder.

   I get on the tread mill next to Ami, her hair tied in a neat bun at the back of her head. She grins a tired grin at me, and wipes the sweat of her forehead.

   “Hey. How are you holding up?”

   I shrug “Alright I guess. Being a hunter is hard! Why couldn’t I just be a medic or something, sounds pretty easy…”

   Ami shakes her head “No way man, I've seen Raphael at work. He’s practically dead at the end of the day.

   I laughed “Yeah, and so am I.” I looked sideways so I can look Ami in the eye “So, find anything out?”

   She looked confused “Find out what?”

   “You know, about how we get blood.”

   Her gaze turns intense “Unfortunately, no. All the records about it are shut off. Funny, huh?”

   I scratched my chin thoughtfully “Yeah…quite.”

   I jumped when the door slams open, and I fling my hand out to grab the handlebar before I fly off the machine. I frantically press stop before I embarrass myself.

   Damen is standing in the doorway, knuckles clenched so tight they skin is whiter than usual. His face was flustered and red eyes that are tinged with panic dart towards me.

   Ok, now something’s seriously up.

   “Evangeline!” He gasps “We need you. Now.

   I spring into action, and sprint for the door, leaving behind Mr. Logan’s angry shouts.

   “What is it?” I yelled, my eyes flitting over his frantic face and wondering what could be so wrong. Honestly, it’s really scaring me.

   He stared straight ahead, sprinting in no apparent direction “No time.” He breaths, decides im not going fast enough and sweeps me off my feet.

   I gasp, surprised. I try to meet his eyes but he is still looking ahead. I can feel his abs pressed against the side of my head through the thin white shirt he wore. I shivered slightly, wondering what it would be like to slide my hands up there…

   NO! Bad thoughts Evangeline, bad thoughts. Remember what Violet said…

   Eh, screw Violet. Nothing wrong with me thinking about a hot guy, right?

   Damen flung open the door so hard it almost flew off its hinges, and sprinted over to where a vampire with scarlet eyes was pushed against the wall by Phoenix, spitting and snarling maliciously. Phoenix, for the first time ever, looked shaken.

   Damen pushed me behind his back and turned around to face me, his red eyes wide and focused.

   “Evangeline, I need you to do something for me, something very important.” He pulled out a silver pair of handcuffs and chains. “I need to you close your eyes, and concentrate very hard.” He took my hands and gently placed them on the silver objects, closing his own hands around mine. I concentrated hard, so hard all I could hear was Damen’s steady breathing.