Chapter 13: Confrontation

Dawnclaw awoke the next morning tired. She had spent most of the night thinking about what she had overheard and whether to confront Lunastar or not.

Dawnclaw looked around the den and trotted outside, going straight for Lunastar’s den. As she entered, Dawnclaw noticed that Lunastar was still asleep even though it was morning.

“Lunastar, I need to talk to you in private, and it can’t wait.”

Lunastar opened her eyes slowly and raised her head, glancing at Dawnclaw then laying her head back down.

“What is it Dawnclaw, can’t you see that I was sleeping?”

Dawnclaw had to hold back a growl while she waited for Lunastar to reply. Lunastar only remained silent as Dawnclaw glared at her.

“I can see that your sleeping, but I have to speak with you in private before I send out the dawn patrol.”

Lunastar opened her eyes again and decided to listen to her deputy.

“Okay, I’ll meet you at the Treeclan border.” Dawnclaw flicked her tail irritably and padded off to the border.

* * * * *

Dawnclaw sat down, waiting for the new Fireclan leader. After what seemed like ages, Lunastar finally appeared. Dawnclaw flicked her ear and glared at the extremely late leader.

“Glad you could finally make it.”

Lunastar looked around wearily and sighed.

“What did you need to speak with me about?”

Dawnclaw took in a huge breath, trying to sound calm as she accused her new leader.

“I saw you last night… returning from the Speaking Caves. I saw you speaking with Flare, and I overheard something I wish I never did.” Dawnclaw meowed, trying to remain calm but failing.

“You said that you sent Cloudfur to the shed with me so that The Ghosts would kill him and you become deputy, you said that when you sent me to lead the battle patrol, you didn’t care who DIED as long as you forced them into silence!” Dawnclaw yowled, completely forgetting to keep her cool.

Lunastar looked at Dawnclaw with anger and hate.

“I'll give you the same warning Dawnclaw. If you tell the clans what I’ve done, I will make you suffer!”

Dawnclaw hissed loudly and unsheathed her claws. Lunastar stepped back but continued to glare at the angered deputy. Dawnclaw fluffed out her fur and snarled.

“I would like to see you lay a claw on me. While you may think I am a good fighter, you have no idea what I can do if you provoke me!”

Lunastar flattened her ears in fear.
She had never heard Dawnclaw angry before, let alone make threats.

Dawnclaw stepped forward, not fearing her leader whatsoever. Lunastar, now fearing her own life, ran as fast as she could back to camp. Dawnclaw snorted and followed.

*A FEW MOONS LATER*

Dawnclaw looked around camp, noticing the dark clouds gathering around the sky. Sensing that it was going to rain hard soon, Dawnclaw padded around the camp, warning everyone.

“Waspheart, Foxtail, gather the queens and their kits and head to higher ground. Snowstorm, start collecting your herbs and carry them to higher ground with Nova and Frostfang.”

Dawnclaw looked up at High Rock and saw that Lunastar was franticly looking around at her scattered clanmates.

Dawnclaw, growling softly, ran to the confused leader.

“Lunastar, we need to warn Fireclan about the incoming storm, I’m worried that the camp will flood.”

Lunastar nodded, still looking at her clan.

“You tell them, up on High Rock.”

Dawnclaw flicked her ears and leaped up onto the large stone.

“LET ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY JOIN BENEATH HIGH ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!”

Dawnclaw watched as her clanmates gathered beneath her.

“Cats of Fireclan, a massive storm is approaching and we all need to move to higher ground. I want all warriors to help move the kits and herbs. GO NOW!” Dawnclaw yowled, glancing back at Lunastar, wondering how she was holding up.

“Lunastar, you should get moving, we both know that you only have two lives remaining.”

Lunastar shook her head and planted her feet down.

“No, I will make sure that my clan is safe before I leave.”

Dawnclaw flicked her tail worriedly and headed out of the den to help Snowstorm and Nova with the herbs. As she was walking to the medicine den, however, Thornpetal intercepted her.

“Dawnclaw, shouldn’t you be helping the queens?”

Dawnclaw shook her head.

“I saw most of the warriors go into the nursery, I came here to help Snowstorm and Nova move the herbs to a safe place.”

Thornpetal shook her head frantically.

“No, most of the warriors found it would be better to save their own pelts then to help the future of our clan.”

Dawnclaw growled angrily and rushed to the nursery. As she entered, the rain began to fall.

Dawnclaw quickly grabbed Goldenkit and glanced around camp, making sure that everyone was gone.

Dawnclaw then rushed out of camp and began to climb the hill that lay behind the border. As she was about midway up the hill, Dawnclaw heard the sound of screams and water rushing. When she looked up, Dawnclaw saw a flood of water rushing down the hill straight for her. Dawnclaw leaped out of the way, gripping onto Goldenkit harder.

When Dawnclaw tried to continue, she heard a terrified voice yowl behind her.

“DAWNCLAW, HELP ME!”