Chapter 4: Frost

Dawnpaw looked around as she entered the den. It was very large. It was about two tail lengths underground and about five fox lengths wide. To the left, a small pile of fresh-kill lay and beside it was medicine supplies. Near the end of the den were two small holes.

Nova trotted over and began digging a third.

“Hey, what are those holes for?”

Frost looked up towards Nova.

“Those are our nests, and over there is the fresh-kill and medicine pile.”

Dawnpaw nodded, then cocked her head.

“How do you know which herb to use when something goes wrong?” Dawnpaw asked, looking at Frost.

Nova whined softly and quickly padded outside. Frost glanced at her but shook her head.

“Nova was once part of a clan. They taught her everything they knew about herbs, the other clans, and Starclan, but, she was betrayed by her clanmates and exiled…”

Dawnpaw hung her head low in shame.

“I had no idea, I’m sorry.”

Frost only nodded and went outside to comfort Nova.

I guess I’ll finish the nest and hunt.

Dawnpaw flicked her ears and finished digging out her nest. Then, she walked outside to hunt.

* * * * *

Dawnpaw crouched low to the ground, keeping her tail still as she slowly stalked the rabbit ahead. Step after step, Dawnpaw inched towards the prey.

Then, she leaped from the bushes, frightening the rabbit, but landing on it. Dawnpaw quickly snapped her head down and bit its neck, ending its life.

Picking it up, Dawnpaw carried the fresh-kill and headed towards the den. As she set the rabbit down in the fresh-kill pile, Nova called her.

Dawnpaw walked outside to find Nova staring at Frost, who was laying on the ground.

“What’s happening to her?!”

Dawnpaw cried. Nova stood still, shaking her head.

“No, no, no, no! She told me this was happening to her but I didn’t believe her!”

Dawnpaw glanced at Frost but turned back to Nova.

“Does anything happen afterwards, could we help her in any way?!”

Nova just shook her head and watched Frost lie still. Frost opened her eyes and stared at Dawnpaw, hatred gleaming in her eyes.

“Frost, what’s wrong?!”

Frost only snarled and leapt at Dawnpaw, slicing her shoulder and flank, causing blood to gush out.

Frost slashed at Dawnstar's throat and face, causing her to bleed more.

Dawnstar growled and attempted to push Frost off.

“FROST, WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH YOU!” Dawnpaw yowled, kicking.

Frost off but ended up getting launched onto a rock.

“Nova help!”

Nova snarled even louder then Frost had and lunged, smacking her legs out from under her and slamming Frost’s muzzle into the ground.

Frost then grew still. Dawnpaw winced as she rose off of the boulder, bleeding from multiple wounds.

“What in Starclan is the matter with her?!” Frost groaned softly and Nova stepped off her.

“W-what happened? OH NO, I HURT YOU!” Frost cried.

Dawnpaw, wanting to comfort the grey rogue, padded over and smiled.

“It’s okay Frost, you only scratched me. Besides that, my head is throbbing but I’m okay.”

Nova nodded and walked Frost into the den, Dawnpaw trailing behind them.

“Are you sure you’re okay Frost, you seemed… different.” Nova asked, concern lining her voice.

“I-I’m not sure, all I could feel was anger and hatred. I saw a vision of. Dawnpaw and a group of cats running at you claws unsheathed. Then, I saw you lying, d-dead on the ground.” Frost replied, glancing at Nova.

Nova gasped and looked at Dawnpaw.

Dawnpaw looked her two new friends, legs shaking, vision blurring, and collapsed to the ground.

Dawnpaw tried opening her eyes, but could only see blurry red fur dashing in front of her. When she tried to listen, all she could make up was poppy seeds, cobwebs, and blood loss. Then, the world around her went dark.