Chapter 5: Ceremony

Dawnpaw opened her eyes and light flooded into view. Squinting, Dawnpaw saw Frost whimpering while Nova dressed her wounds.

Turning around, Nova glanced at Dawnpaw and noticed that she was awake.

"Welcome back Dawnpaw, are you feeling alright?"

Dawnpaw shook her head, trying to clear her vision and looked at Frost.

"I feel fine, Frost, are you okay?"

Frost only flicked an ear in response and slumped to the ground.

Dawnpaw looked at Nova, who pointed to the den entrance with her muzzle. Dawnpaw trotted out of the den and sat down.

"What is it Nova?"

"Dawnpaw, I want to assure you that Frost will be okay. She explained to me that she's been having weird dreams and waking up angry. I calmed her down and gave her some poppy seeds, so she should be fine when she wakes. So, how far into training where you?"

Dawnpaw looked at her paws and sighed.

"I was almost done with training. My mentor, Foxtail, was supposed to give me my assessment within the next moon..."

Nova continued to listen to Dawnpaw as she explained in further detail why she had run away and when she was going back.

*A FEW MOONS LATER*

Nova padded over to Dawnpaw and laid down.

"You know New Leaf is just around the corner, and I want you to impress your clanmates just as much as you do, so, I will host your warrior ceremony."

Dawnpaw looked up, mouth gaping in shock.

"You can do that?!"

Nova nodded, looking down at the dark brown tabby.

"Yes, but you will need to do your assessment. I will tell Frost that we're going out and we'll begin."

"Okay!" Dawnpaw meowed loudly, bouncing slightly, then running off to find a good place to hunt.

Nova turned around, entered the den, explained things to Frost, who was sleeping, and padded off after Dawnpaw.

* * * * *

Dawnpaw crouched low to the ground, stalking slowly towards an owl, who was sleeping on a low branch.

Dawnpaw inched her way over to the tree, then climbed it quietly, sitting on the branch above the owl.

Then, she leaped from the branch, snatching the owl's wings and smashing its neck, killing it.

Dawnpaw yowled in triumph as Nova walked through the brush.

"Good work, I've never seen a cat catch an owl before! Come, let's go back and see Frost."

* * * * *

As Nova and Dawnpaw returned, Frost padded out of the den, feeling much better.

"Cool, an owl!"

Dawnpaw smiled and dropped it near a bush. Nova leaped up onto a boulder and barked.

"Attention! Dawnpaw has passed her assessment and will be made full warrior!"

Frost looked at Dawnpaw with pride.

"I, Nova, protector of Iceclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Dawnpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Dawnpaw, from this moment you will be known as Dawnclaw. Starclan honors your courage and courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior."

Dawnclaw looked up at the sky and smiled.

Oh Thornpaw, I hope that you're doing alright without me and I hope you've become a warrior.

Nova leaped off the rock and walked over to Dawnclaw.

"Dawnclaw, we will be escorting you to the border of Fireclan tomorrow morning. You have learned much and I expect you to teach it to any future apprentices."

Dawnclaw looked up at Nova sadly.

"Will you two come with me, you could be Fireclan's new guardian and Frost could become a warrior."

Nova looked up at the night sky and thought about it.

"I will speak with Frost and give you an answer tomorrow."

Nova walked back into the den along with Frost and Dawnclaw and went to sleep in her nest. Dawnclaw and Frost did the same.

* * * * *

Thornpaw looked up at Featherstar, bursting with pride.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath High Stone for a clan meeting!"

As the clan gathered, Thornpaw trotted over to Cloudfur, who was purring slightly.

"It's my warrior ceremony, isn't it Cloudfur!"

Cloudfur looked at his bouncing apprentice and nodded. Thornpaw bolted into the crowd, waiting for Featherstar to begin. Featherstar looked down at her clan and nodded in satisfaction.

"Thornpaw, step forward."

Thornpaw stepped forward, waiting for the traditional words to be said.

"I, Featherstar, leader of Fireclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Thornpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do!"

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Thornpaw, from this moment you will be known as Thornpetal. StarClan honors your caring nature, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Fireclan."

Thornpetal looked at her clanmates as they called out her warrior name. As they called out her name, however, she thought about Dawnpaw and how she missed her chance.

"Thornpetal,

Thornpetal,

Thorpetal!"

Oh Dawnpaw, why can't you come back today? You will always be my best friend, but what about me?