Chapter 6: Return

Dawnclaw looked over at Frost and Nova, who were quietly discussing among themselves. Frost nodded while Nova just looked on.

“So, Dawnclaw.” Frost meowed.

Dawnclaw looked up without saying anything.

“Nova and I agreed that if we are welcomed, we’ll join Fireclan.”

Dawnclaw meowed happily and looked at Nova.

“Thank you Nova, thank you Frost!”

Nova began to slow her pace as the reached the border.

“Okay, so I guess we’ll wait for the dawn patrol.”

Nova and Frost nodded and sat down, waiting for the incoming patrol to come.

Then, out of nowhere, a tortoiseshell cat leapt over the brush and straight for Nova.

Nova jumped backwards and began barking like a mad dog at the attacking cat.

Dawnclaw leaped towards the mysterious cat, slashing at its face. Dawnclaw missed every blow except the last one.

Knocking Nova’s attacker to the ground, Frost and Dawnclaw both pinned her down. Looking down at the hissing cat, Dawnclaw gasped.

“Thornpaw!”

Thornpetal looked up and blinked, mouth open in astonishment.

“Da-Dawnpaw! You’re alive! Oh, and it’s Thornpetal.”

Dawnclaw smiled and looked over at her friends and flicked her tail.

“This is Frost, and that’s Nova. Please don’t attack her, I’ll explain everything, and it’s Dawnclaw.”

Thornpetal looked at Nova then Dawnclaw.

“You can’t give yourself a warrior name, Featherstar has to do it.”

Dawnclaw shook her head as Nova stepped forward.

“Actually young one, I gave Dawnclaw her warrior name because I am allowed to.”

Thornpetal stared at the fox in awe.

“How can you speak our language? What are you doing which a group of cats? How can you give Dawnclaw-”

Nova glared at Thornpetal.

Thornpetal instantly shut her mouth and smiled.

“I will tell you Thornpetal, but what are you doing all on your own?”

Thornpetal looked at Dawnclaw and shrugged.

“I was looking for Dawnclaw near the border and I found you. I guess I’ll take you all back to camp if you don’t mind. Oh, and if I say stop, please stop. I don’t want the entire clan to attack you…”

Frost nodded and began following Dawnclaw and Nova, but was stopped by Thornpetal.

“So, who are you? I’m guessing you’re a rogue.”

Frost looked at Thornpetal and hissed softly.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing, and my name is Frost.”

Thornpetal shook her head.

“No, I didn’t mean… I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you. I have nothing against rogues and would like you to meet Featherstar.” Frost only nodded and followed the eager tortoiseshell cat.