Chapter 12: Secret

Dawnclaw and Frostfang slowly padded into camp behind the rest of the patrol.

Entering camp, the two cats laid Thornpetal into a moss nest. Snowstorm rushed into the medicine den, grabbing multiple herbs, Nova right behind her.

"Dawnclaw, soak some moss and dab it on Thornpetal's face to wake her," Snowstorm breathed, rushing out of the den with Nova to help the remaining patrol.

Dawnclaw did as she was told and dipped a small moss ball into the pool of water near the back of the den. She then dabbed Thornpetal's face with it.

*gasp*

"How long was I out?!"

Dawnclaw shook her head and looked down at her feet.

"Oh, I'm back at camp, which means the battle is over..."

Dawnclaw nodded and padded out of the den. As she looked around camp, Dawnclaw saw Lunaheart walk over to Snowstorm, exchange a few words, and leaped up onto High Rock.

"All cats that are old enough to catch their own prey join beneath High Rock for a clan meeting!"

Dawnclaw walked over, wincing in pain, and sat down. Thornpetal slowly trotted out of the medicine den, leaning on Frostfang.

"As you all know, I sent out a patrol, lead by Dawnclaw, to attack and drive out The Ghosts. Unfortunately, Featherstar, Beetlepaw, Skywhisker, and Cedarheart have all joined Starclan. I know that I've yet to receive my nine lives, and I will be doing that tonight, but a new deputy must be named so that Fireclan will remain intact!" Lunaheart yowled, causing the clan to discuss among themselves.

Lunaheart waved her tail for silence and continued.

"I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of Fireclan is Dawnclaw!"

"Dawnclaw, Dawnclaw!"

Dawnclaw's clanmates gathered around her, congratulating her, but Dawnclaw was only confused.

"Why me Lunaheart?"

Lunaheart looked down at the new deputy.

"Well isn't it obvious? You are a talented fighter, strategist, and leader. You are the perfect choice and I'm sure you will make a fantastic leader!"

Dawnclaw nodded and smiled.

OH MY GOSH, I'M FIRECLAN'S NEW DEPUTY!

Snowstorm looked up at the sky. It was nearly moonhigh.

"Lunaheart, we must leave at once if you wish to receive your nine lives!"

Lunaheart nodded and leaped off of High Rock.

Dawnclaw smiled as Lunaheart and Snowstorm trotted quickly out of camp. Nightshade quietly made his way to Dawnclaw and flicked his tail at the bodies of his dead clanmates.

"When should we bury our fallen clanmates Dawnclaw?"

Dawnclaw turned around suddenly, frightened by her father's words.

"Oh. Ummm, if the vigil is over, then now."

Nightshade nodded and walked off to collect the senior warriors for the burial.

Dawnclaw glanced around and realized how tired she was. She sleepily padded into the warrior's den and curled up for a good, long sleep.

A few hours later, Dawnclaw awoke to find that she was wide awake, though it was just past moonhigh.

Well I guess I'll go out for a walk.

Dawnclaw quietly creeped out of the den and out of camp. As she neared the Lakeclan border, she heard the snapping of a twig as well as the disturbance of leaves.

Dawnclaw crouched low to the ground, keeping low to the ground and out of sight from anything. She crept closer to the noise and heard voices.

Am I hearing things, or is that Lunaheart, well, Lunastar now.

Dawnclaw peeked through the undergrowth and saw a silver outline next to a bright orange outline.

"Oh my! That's Lunastar and Flare!"

Dawnclaw perked her ears and listened in the conversation.

"I'm glad that we've come to an understanding then."

Flare hissed quietly, her lips curled back.

"No we haven't! You told me to explain to The Ghosts that we were supposed to single out Cloudfur, a white tom, and kill him, you said NOTHING about the fact that you would betray me and kill my mate!"

Lunastar stepped towards Flare and fluffed out her fur, making her appear bigger.

"After you killed Cloudfur and I became deputy, I had no use for you or The Ghosts and I convinced Featherstar to send out a patrol and drive you away. I didn't care who died in the process, I only needed you and your little group to stay quiet about the whole thing."

Flare looked back at Lunastar and growled softly.

"Well I'm sure you're happy since I'm agreeing to stay quiet as long as you leave me alone as well as your clan."

Lunastar nodded and flicked her tail.

"I must go, leave Fireclan territory and I won't bother you anymore as well as my clan."

Flare only flicked her ear in response and ran off.

Lunastar smirked and rushed off back to her clan. Once she was out of sight, Dawnclaw came out of hiding, coming to the realization that Lunastar planned Cloudfur's death and sent Featherstar on a suicide mission, knowing that she only had one life.

I can't believe it. Lunastar is a murderer and still received nine lives. I will make sure that my new hate for her stays a secret, well, between the two of us.