Chapter 7: Accepted

Thornpetal glanced around and held her tail high.

“Stop. I will go get Featherstar, you three stay here.”

Dawnclaw nodded and sat down, waiting for Featherstar. Frost looked at Nova and nodded. Thornpetal soon returned with Featherstar.

“Featherstar, I would like you to meet Frost and Nova.”

Featherstar’s eyes widened as she saw the friendly fox.

“What is a fox doing in our territory along with a rogue?!” Featherstar demanded.

“They aren’t the only ones here Featherstar.”

Featherstar cocked her head and looked again at the forest around her.

“Who else could be here? All I smell is fox…”

Dawnclaw slowly came out of hiding and stared at Featherstar.

“Me, I’m back.”

Featherstar stood in place, mouth wide open.

“Dawnpaw?! We thought you were dead! Did Frost and Nova help you? How did you survive Leafbare?!”

Dawnclaw nodded and looked at the excited leader.

“No I didn’t die and yes, Frost and Nova helped me catch prey as I helped them. Oh, my name is Dawnclaw.”

“Where did you go then, we thought you were caught by an eagle!”

Dawnclaw looked at Thornpetal and shrugged.

“I ran away because you all treated me like crowfood.” Dawnclaw replied, raising her voice slightly.

Featherstar looked at Thornpetal and shrank back.

“Yes, I know. The night you ran away, Thornpetal told me that you were angry at your clanmates and went out for a walk to cool down. When we went out to look for you, an eagle was circling above and we though it got you…”

Dawnclaw growled softly.

“I can’t believe you thought I was that weak.”

Featherstar nodded slowly, keeping her head down.

“I’m sorry, but we couldn’t even sit vigil for you because we’ve been having some issues with Darkclan again. They have been stealing prey and denying it.”

Frost looked at Thornpetal, now scared. Nova looked down at her friend and barked softly.

“Don’t worry Frost, I’ll protect you and Fireclan.”

Frost looked over at Featherstar with concern.

“I have a few questions.”

Featherstar flicked her ear and nodded.

“What do you want to know?”

Frost glanced around wearily.

"If we wanted to join your clan, would Nova be allowed? Would I be a warrior, and could Nova have her old job back?”

Featherstar looked at Nova, studying her.

“Well, you would get basic training as an apprentice, then you would be a warrior. Why does Nova want to join Fireclan, I mean, she’s a fox, and what was her old job?”

Frost opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by Nova’s tail.

“I used to be apart of  a far away clan called Iceclan. I protected them from threats. Basically badgers, eagles, owls, rogues, and my tribe. I want to stay with Frost and protect Fireclan.”

Featherstar nodded,“I will not ask any further questions, for you will all be joining Fireclan today!”

Dawnclaw raised her head proudly as Frost leaped up in the air along with Nova.

As the group settled down, Featherstar and Thornpetal lead the way back to camp.

Before they reached camp, however, Featherstar slowed down and walked with Dawnclaw.

“Dawnclaw, I have one question. How did you receive your warrior name?”

Dawnclaw looked at Featherstar then at Nova.

“When Nova was apart of Iceclan, the clan shared with her everything. How to call clan meetings, apprentice kits, make warriors, which herbs to use, our customs as clan cats, and Starclan. A few sunrises ago, Nova gave me my new warrior name. She and Frost helped train me become a warrior.”

Featherstar looked at Frost.

“So Frost doesn’t need any training?”

“No. She is an amazing hunter and fighter and knows how to climb and swim.”

Featherstar nodded again and looked at the sky.

“Well then, let’s keep going and I’ll make them members of Fireclan!”