Chapter 8: Conflict

Featherstar trotted into camp, Dawnclaw following close behind. As they group passed through camp, all of the warriors hissed at Frost and Nova, flexing their claws.

Featherstar slashed her tail and leaped onto High Rock, yowling.

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath High Rock for a clan meeting!”

Dawnclaw, Frost, Nova, and Thornpetal slowly padded up to the rock, receiving glares and shocked expressions from clanmates.

Featherstar looked down and hissed quietly.

“Thornpetal has discovered that Dawnclaw is alive and has made two new friends. They wish to join Fireclan and I have agreed to allow them to.”

Foxtail looked over at Nova and hissed loudly.

“Why are you letting a fox into camp, let alone let her join our clan?!”

Nova flew around and stared at Foxtail.

“I am aloud to join any willing clan. I have been apart of a clan before and left. I know your language, herbs, customs, and Starclan!”

Foxtail immediately withdrew and nodded in respect.

“I’m sorry, but, do you even have a name?”

Frost flipped around and glared at the red-orange warrior.

“Her name is Nova, and she is a friend to cats.”

Featherstar nodded and looked down at her clan.

“Frost, step forward.”

Frost did as she was told and stepped close towards the silver leader.

“Frost, is it your wish as well as Nova’s, to join Fireclan and obey are ways?”

Frost looked at Nova and nodded.

"It is.” Featherstar looked back over her clanmates and blinked.

“I, Featherstar, leader of Fireclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon this rogue. She wishes to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Frost, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

“I do.”

“Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Frost, from this moment you will be known as Frostfang. We welcome you as a full warrior of Fireclan.”

“Frostfang,

Frostfang,

Frostfang!”

Frostfang fluffed out her grey tabby fur and smiled.

“Nova, step forward.”

As Nova walked closer to Featherstar, Foxtail, Cloudfur, and Honeydew all hissed at the fox.

Featherstar raised her tail high and glared at the three cats. They immediately stopped and sat back down, still glaring in defiance.

“I, Featherstar, leader of Fireclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this fox. She wishes to help our Clan, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Nova, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?”

“I do.”

“Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Nova, we will continue to call you by your original name and we welcome you as a full warrior of Fireclan.”

Nova looked around and smiled while everyone except Foxtail and Honeydew called out her name.

Frostfang looked over at Dawnclaw and pointed her tail at Featherstar. Dawnclaw nodded and jumped onto High Rock.

“Featherstar, I need to speak with you in private along with Cloudfur.”

Featherstar nodded and flicked her tail at Cloudfur. Cloudfur glanced around and walked into Featherstar’s den.

* * * * *

Dawnclaw looked at Featherstar and Cloudfur with concern.

“So, what is this story I've been hearing about attacks on our camp?”

Cloudfur shook his head and looked at Featherstar.

“While you were gone a rogue attacked a patrol. Foxtail was nearly killed and Sagetail was injured. When they returned to camp Foxtail collapsed and barely made it. I know that you couldn’t have known that now that he’s better. After he was in the medicine den along with Sagetail I sent out a patrol to find out who attacked my clanmates. When the patrol came back they said that they picked up traces of rogue scent. We believe that there is a small group of rogues performing random attacks on our territory. If it’s okay with you, I would like you to lead a patrol to see what this group wants with us.”

Cloudfur looked at Featherstar and nodded.

“I will go with you Dawnclaw.”

Dawnclaw nodded and thought for a moment.

“We should bring Thornpetal, Frostfang, and Nightshade.”

Cloudfur nodded and looked at Featherstar.

“I know that Nightshade was just allowed back into the warrior’s den but should we bring him?”

Featherstar nodded and fluffed out her tail.

“Yes, and leave now.”

Dawnclaw said no more and padded out of the den to gather her patrol.