love is a funny thing.

October 1991

"Troll in the dungeon!" Quirrel had shouted, running into the Great Hall like a madman. "Thought you ought to know," he finished, falling not so gracefully to the ground. It was then that all hell broke loose.

Haley had been frantically searching for her brother when Fred and George came her way.

"What are you doing?" Fred looked at her like she'd lost it.

"We need to get out of here," George told her, tugging on her arm.

"I have to find Harry!" the thirteen year old shrieked, angry that they were trying to pull her out of the Hall without her brother.

"He's probably already halfway up to the Tower," one of the redheads tried convincing her, speaking quite loudly over the crowd of scared children.

Haley was about to say otherwise when she heard the young boy call for Hermione. Following the sound of Harry's panicked voice, the trio saw both him and Ron take off in the opposite direction Percy was trying to get the Gryffindors to go in.

"Is he mental?" George questioned rhetorically.

"I'm going to kill him," Haley stated, a look of both utter fear and sheer irritation spread across her face.

"We're going to have to find him first," Fred attempted to calm her down a bit. It was nothing new, really. Harry was always able to get under her skin. She simply cared for him that much.

Flashback to December 1989

"Harry, what happened?" Haley rushed over to the eight year old covered in mud, leaves, and who knew what else.

Rather than answer the question, he merely remained at the doorway that led into his sister's room, trying to hold back his tears.

"Who did this to you?" she asked softly, kneeling before him. It was Sunday evening and he'd just returned from another lesson with the Longbottoms. He and Neville usually played out on the grounds for a bit every evening before calling it a night. However, not once had he returned looking like he'd been mauled.

"Are you going to answer me?" Haley tried again.

Harry just shook his head and diverted his eyes to the floor below.

She sighed, unsure of what else to say when someone began knocking on the potion master's door.

"I'll be right back," she told him, "stay here, okay?"

He merely nodded and watched as the older raven-haired child walked away.

"Amaryllis, what brings you here?" Haley wondered aloud, stepping aside so that her friend could enter.

"Is your father around?" the blonde asked, instead of responding to the inquiry.

"No, he's monitoring a detention...why?"

It was then that a young boy stepped out from behind Rye.

"Is that your brother?" she asked, although already fairly certain of the answer. The Slytherin had talked about him on several occasions, once stating that he was about Harry's age.

Amaryllis nodded, "Yes, this is Draco," she grabbed his shoulders and pushed him in front of her. "He's actually here to apologize."

Haley cocked her head curiously. "Not to sound rude," she began carefully, "but why is he even at Hogwarts in the first place?"

Rye sighed, "Well, mother and father had been discussing how Harry gets to spend so much time here and that made Draco jealous-"

"It did not!" said pureblood cut in defensively.