Searching for the Light - Chapter 13

Chapter 13.

It was Monday morning and I was currently sitting in Carters car, he was driving us to school. My time of the month started this morning and I wasn't happy, cramps hurt like a bitch. I double over in my seat grabbing my stomach but that only made the pain worse, the lady at the piercing shop had told me that my naval would hurt for a couple of weeks but it had been on good terms with me, that was when I didn't touch it.

"Marianne? Are you okay?" Carter seemed worried. 

"Just bad stomach cramps."  

"Um, okay. I can drive you back home if you want?"  

"No it's alright, it shouldn't take long for the aspirin to kick in" I said, giving him a smile.  

I was right, by the time homeroom began, I was fine.  

"Hey Maria, how're you today?" Johnny asked when I sat down. 

"Doing good thanks. Oh, want to see something really cool?"  

"Er, sure..." I started un-doing my cardigan and pulling up my blouse, he looked stunned and covered up his eyes.  

"Relax, Johnny, look" I said, trying to peal his hands away from his face, he peaked. He focused on the small butterfly dangling from my naval, "Oh right" he began to laugh nervously and I gave him a smile. 

"Cool huh?" I asked. 

"Really cool... and cute. Has Carter seen it?"  

"No, not yet, I'll show him later"  

"I wonder what he will say..." he trailed off as Mr. Norful came in.

It was dinner time and I wasn't hungry so I just grabbed myself a cup of hot coffee and sat down next Tami, we were soon joined by everyone cutting our conversation short.

"So, how's your piercing doing?" Tami said, loud enough for me to hear over the racket. 

"What piercing?" Carter asked, sitting down next to me 

"I got my belly button pierced..." I smiled sweetly but his eyes went wide. Tami had took this as a signal to start a new conversation with someone else and for that I was glad.  

"You what?" he questioned, raising his voice a little bit. 

"I got it pierced, look..." I stood up and began unbuttoning my blouse but he grabbed my wrist at the second button and pulled me back to sit down, "wha-" he cut me off.  

"Don't do that; you don't want everyone looking at you, do you? And where is your dinner?" he asked, seriously. I tried to break free from his grasp but he only tightened his hand. 

"I just wanted to show you, it's not big deal. And I'm not hungry. Carter you're hurting me" I muttered. 

"Big deal? It sure is a big deal and yes you are" he let go of my wrist and took his sandwich out of its box and gave me half, "eat it."

"She doesn't have to eat it if she doesn't want to" I didn't even realise Alec had joined us so when I heard his voice from the other side of Tami, I was surprised. 

Carter stood up and said, "It's got nothing to do with you".

Alec stood up in response but before anything kicked off, I grabbed Carter's hand and pulled him down, "I'll eat" I said grabbing half the sandwich and taking a bite out of it, "see? You're right, I could use some energy" he looked pleased and kissed me on the lips before giving Alec a harsh stare.

Dinner went by slowly, Carter watching every move I made. He offered me his other half of his sandwich, I took it and ate it even though I didn't want to - I didn't want to cause another scene.

I was sitting in Science with Alec when he asked me, "Don't you think Carter is acting a little, possessive?"  

"He cares about me" I replied, blankly.  

"Marianne." He said sternly. 

"What?" I turned to face him, smiling. 

"You don't know what you're letting yourself in for, just leave the guy, he's bad news"  

My smile faded, "Stop it, Alec." I said, through clenched teeth now. 

"Stop what?" he hissed.  

"Just stop. It's got nothing to do with you. Leave it alone" I said and walked out, the final bell ringing. What was his problem? It's my relationship, not his.

Carter drove me home in silence but when we arrived he whispered, "Marianne, I think you should stop talking to Alec."  

"Oh... funny, he said the same exact thing to me, about you" I said, matter-of-factly.  

"You see? He's jealous of us, Marianne. It's because we have such a good relationship and he's jealous of that. He wants to take you from me and we can't have that, can we?" I was a little zoned out, my stomach had started hurting a little again. When I didn't answer, he put a hand on my knee and squeezed slightly before slowly leaning over to peck my lips. "Can we?" he asked again, innocently.

"No, we can't" I said, shaking my head. I kissed his cheek and got out of his car.