Searching for the Light - Chapter 11

Chapter 11.

As instructed by Carter, I did get a good-night's sleep. Carter had been coming around to my house every so often so I ended up telling him everything about my parents, he tried to sympathize but I told him it's life. He gets along with Mathieu well, only because they are both into sports and since he brought Caroline some flowers one night when he was over for dinner, she loves him. I've been to his house once; he asked me if I wanted to meet his parents but said they're always out of town so now is the best chance. Carter's parents are very much like mine, very distant from him.

But now it was Saturday, the day of Duke's party and I had no idea what to wear. I paced up and down but then remembered the credit card my parents had left for me; a smile crept its way up my face, getting bigger by the second. I quickly ran to my bag to check if it was still there, I found it in a little pocket and called Tami to see if she was up for a little shopping spree; she happily obliged.

Mathieu had promised to pick me up at five o'clock so we could both get ready and then Carter would pick us both up.  

Tami picked me out a beautiful outfit; a beautiful dress that hung just above my knees and a pair of high heel shoes. The dress was navy, with cream orange and slightly yellow flowers on and the heels were a plain neutral cream colour. Tami decided on wearing black leggings, a nice long going out top and a pair of black over the knee peter pan boots. Mathieu picked us both back up and we started getting ready.

The door bell rang and I was nervous. What if Carter thought I looked horrible? Caroline answered the door and ushered him into the living room where I was standing, playing with the hem of my dress. I was looking down when he placed both of his hands on my hips and gave me a peck on my forehead; I slowly lifted my head to meet his eyes and smiled. Even with my high heels on, he was still taller. 

"You look beautiful" he whispered in my ear. 

"Um, thank you".  

"So, we going then?" Tami asked and Carter nodded, still looking at me. 

"What time should I be back, Mathieu?" I asked. 

"Whenever you want, kid" he looked at Carter, "Just make sure she's sober".  

"Hey!" I whined.

Carter grinned and led me out into his car before I could say anything else. Tami got in the back and we headed to the party.  

The music was blaring when we got to Duke and Richards house, we were welcomed by Gemma who was already half wasted. Tami ran in shouting, "Party!" and everyone turned and laughed at her. She looked back and mimed, "I'll see you later?" I just nodded, she blushed when she looked at Carter but then disappeared in the crowd.

"Hey Marianne!" I was interrupted by Duke, handing me a beer. He slapped Carter on the back and pulled me into a bone crushing hug, "I'm glad you guys made it, help yourself to whatever you want and have a good time!" the loud music made it hard to hear him even when he was shouting. Duke let me go and then grabbed Gemma by the hand and led her upstairs.

"I'm going to go get a drink. I'll be back in a minute" Carter whispered in my ear from behind me; I smiled back at him watching him disappear through the swarm of people.  

I was just about to go to find the bathroom when I was welcomed by two strong hands, sliding around my waist. My breathing started picking up and I grabbed at the hands, trying to break free. 

"Hey Maria" Alec whispered in my ear, "want to dance?" I could of burst out laughing, he was drunk. His breath stunk of beer and he slurred his words. What is he? Seventeen? And he's drunk, typical.