Searching for the Light - Chapter 10

Chapter 10.

Carter phoned me in the morning, he asked me to be his girlfriend - I wasn't so keen on it since I have never had a boyfriend before, but said yes nonetheless, he makes me happy. He said he wants to pick me up every morning to go to school which I didn't mind, have you seen his car? Tami had asked if I wanted to go around to her house today, with Jerry. "I'd be happy to but after Church" I'd said; even though I wasn't big on Christianity, I wanted to show Mathieu and Caroline that I respect it.

After telling Tami and Jerry about me and Carter, they just looked at each other.  

"Just be careful" Jerry had said, "We don't want you to get hurt". I wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, so I changed the subject - I had wanted to get my naval pierced for a while now and I'd wondered if it would look alright; they even offered to come with me. The rest of that day was spent at Tami's house, having a barbeque and talking about what had happened to me in France - I didn't want to get emotional so I kept it short.

On getting home, I went straight up to my room and played on my piano for quite some time, I had only stopped because it was late and Caroline and Mathieu had gone to bed. I didn't get much sleep, about an hour at the most. Great. So now I'm sat in Carter's car, on the way to school with huge bags under my eyes, I looked like a zombie.  

"You sure you're okay?" Carter asked, squeezing my hand.  

I turned to him and nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine, It's what staying up all night does to you"  

"Well, get a good nights sleep tonight then, okay beautiful?" nodding again, I smiled at him.  

We arrived at school and Carter came around the back of the car and opened the door for me, "You're such a dork". 

He smirked and grabbed my hand, helping me out. "Only for you", he shut the door and put an arm around my shoulders, leading me in the building.

I met Johnny in homeroom, he seemed happy to see me, "So, you and Carter, huh?" he quirked an eye brow. 

"Yeah, it's no big deal" I rolled my eyes. 

"It is to Alec, you should of seen his face when he found out"  

"Wow, news sure does travel fast around here and what's it got to do with him anyway?"  

"I don't know but he seemed pissed." I shrugged it off.

The bell rang and we headed to Maths. Me, Johnny, the twins - Duke and Richard, Tami and Carter all had the same class together, so we sat on a big round table. We have an awesome teacher called Mr. Mason, he's really fun and he makes everything sound so easy - he's officially my favourite teacher.

Dinner came around after break and history. I grabbed myself a salad sandwich and apple juice and sat next to Tami, I was soon joined by Carter who kissed my cheek and sat next to me. I blushed.  

"So Marianne, are you coming to my party on Saturday night?" Duke asked.  

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it yesterday, will you come?" Tami knitted her eye brows together making her look adorable.  

"Um, sure I will honey" she gave me the biggest grin ever and hugged me. 

"I'll pick you up then" Carter said, slipping an arm around my waist and pulling me slightly out of Tami's embrace. I just nodded while smiling politely at Tami, she didn't seem to mind.  

"Oh and speaking of parties, Tami mentioned it was your birthday next Thursday" Johnny spoke.  

"Tami" I whined, "you promised".  

"I know but I couldn't help it, you can't just do nothing for your eighteenth birthday so I organized a 'get together' at my house for you on the Friday".  

"Get together? Yeah, whatever."  

"Marianne, don't be so boring, it'll be fun" she nudged me with her elbow, giving me that adorable look again. 

"Stop giving me that look, it's not working," I lied, she pouted. "Ugh, fine."  

"Yay" she clasped her hands together and smiled, sweetly.  

"Tami also said that you're planning to get your belly button pierced, that sounds awesome" Gemma had pulled up a chair and sat next to Duke giving him a peck on his lips, how adorable.  

At the corner of my eye, I saw Carter turn his head towards me, confusion in his eyes, I ignored it.  

"Yeah, I've been thinking about it for awhile now, I think I'll get it done on Sunday"  

"That's great, I think it would totally suit you, isn't that right Carter?" she looked over at him and I slowly turned my head too. He just stared at me for a long moment before putting a hand on my knee and squeezing gently, "Yeah it'll look great, but you'll have to excuse me, I need to ask coach something about the next game, I'll see you at the end of the day" and with that, he gave me another kiss on the cheek and disappeared. Everyone else seemed to be starting another conversation so I shrugged and started eating my lunch. I have art next, with Alec. Speaking of the which, where is he?

I made my way to the back of the room, Mrs. Green was busy working on something at her desk so she had asked us to grab a piece of paper and draw whatever we'd like, again. Alec and his two buddies were sat just like they were on Friday, I was thinking about picking a different seat after his scene at the game but there were none others available so I parked myself next to him and got a pencil out of my bag.

"Hey" Alec said, smoothly.  

I turned to him and smiled slightly, "Hi".  

"So, you and Carter?"  

"I guess so. News travels fast around here, huh?" 

"Can't expect anything less can we? With Tami and Johnny.."

I laughed, "..And you?"

He grinned, "Well.. Yeah, you're right. So, you serious about him?"  

"Serious? I may be from the other side of the world but I'm pretty sure dating is just dating Alex" I stated, matter-of-factly.  

"Well, just be careful, he's got a reputation"  

"Reputation for what? I asked him about it and he honestly didn't have a clue what I was talking about"

He put his hands up in defense, "Only if you're sure. If anything happens though, come to me straight away and I'll make him cry, I promise you" I couldn't keep a straight face, I burst out laughing and tried to push him off his chair but he didn't budge, I'm so weak.  

"Hey! I'm not joking, I'm serious" he laughed with me, ruffling my hair a little.

Art wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Mrs. Green asked us to draw whatever we want, right? So we took the liberty to draw her, only plumper and emphasizing the almost moustache, it was hilarious. I had a good day.

Carter dropped me off at home but asked, "So, you're getting your naval pierced?" before I managed to get out of his car. 

"Um, yeah, I've wanted it done for awhile"  

He looked disappointed? "You aren't going to be showing people all the time though, are you?"

"Yes I am, I'm going in school wearing just my bra when I get it done" his eyes went wide, "Joking! Don't worry, it's just a 'me' thing. Like a goal, I suppose? I've always wanted it done" I reassured him. 

Carter smirked a little, "Good" he said before giving me a gentle kiss on my lips. I smiled and got out of his car, "See you tomorrow?" I asked.  

"Yeah and don't forget to get a good nights sleep tonight beautiful. You look exhausted"  

"Okay, I will, bye-bye" I waved then turned to go inside.