Searching for the Light - Chapter 5

Chapter 5.

On the way to school the next morning, Mathieu asked me what I'd like for my birthday. Ever since I moved here all I've been getting asked is what do I want and the truth is, I really don't know, I'm used to not even getting a card, so I expect nothing less. 

"Um, you don't have to get me anything, you've got me enough as it is" with all the furniture, food, electric, etcetera. 

"I have to get something for your birthday, It's your birthday!" definitely not what you expect to her from a thirty odd year old.  

"How about you and Caroline bake me a nice cake? It'll give you a reason to help her for a change and you can practise your cooking skills" he paused then started laughing at me. 

"Cooking skills? - Cooking skills?" His voice got higher the second time, "Maria, let me tell you something. Ever since Caroline and I had bought that house, I haven't laid a finger on that cooker and I'm not starting now! Plus, If I so much as touch any of her 'cooking material', she'd have me!" 

A huge grin was plastered to his face, It made him look like Dad. I sighed trying not to think about it and slapped him playfully in the arm. 

"Hey! Don't hit the driver, it's very dangerous y'know?"  

"Well, I wouldn't have to hit the driver If he wasn't such an idiot"  

"Why you little!" he sounded like Homer from 'The Simpsons', the sound of my high pitched laugh filled the car.  

Without too much as noticing, we were at my school; I picked up my bag, gave Mathieu a hug and made my way in.

I was on my way to homeroom when I felt a burning sensation run my back, you know when you get the feeling your being watched? I was feeling that right now. Ignoring it, I quickened my pace and turned a corner slamming straight into someone, knocking me off my feet. Alec. 

"Shit!" he shouted, bending down and clutched his foot, I couldn't help it, I started laughing. I must've stepped on his foot when I banged in to him.  

"Hey, don't laugh! I'm in pain!" he whined.  

Pressing my lips together and trying not to giggle I said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"  

Alec let go of his foot and smirked, "I'll forgive you if you come to the game tonight" he held out his hand to lift me up, I hesitantly took it.  

"I'm already going" I answered sympathetically. 

"Awesome, a bunch of us are going to grab a bite to eat afterwards, you want to tag along?" I'd already promised Mathieu I'd be back by 8:30; I guess another half hour wouldn't hurt? I'll text him later.  

"Sure, why not" I smiled. He snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me to his side. A little awkward but I'm not used to it after all, I brushed it off.

"Cool, so where you off to?"  

"Homeroom"  

"I'll walk you" we began walking, his arm still around my waist.  

"Good morning, Marianne" Mr. Norful exclaimed once he saw me. 

"Morning, Sir" I whispered. Alec said he would 'catch me later', winked and left.

The rest of the day went by and I found myself changing my mind about Alec, he was, well, not what I thought he was anyway. Duke, one of the twins had introduced me to his girlfriend Gemma, we exchanged phone numbers and she said she would see me later at the game. Carter, I found out was the real player and I didn't like him; every so often I would catch him looking at me, almost glaring at me and to be honest, it freaked me out. Tami is still set for tonight, I promised her that she could do my hair and make-up so she seemed quite satisfied. Last but not least there is Johnny and Jerry who always seem to be arguing, in a 'friendly' way though - is that even possible? Anyway, they're great fun to be around and easy to get on with.