Searching for the Light - Chapter 9

Chapter 9.

I don't know how long I'd been crying for till I fell asleep, but I awoke to the sound of birds chirping; other than that, everything was silent. It was half six and the sun had just about finished rising, the orange light radiating off the walls making me realise how serene I was at that moment. I know what you're thinking, what teenage girl wakes up that early on a Saturday? I never had good sleeping patterns and it seems they haven't got any better yet. Slipping out of bed, I fished out a pair of running bottoms and a hoodie and clothed, shoving my hair into a bun.

After getting back from my hour weekend jog, I had a quick shower and got dressed into a pair of black leggings, a white, ribbed vest and a black boyfriend cardigan adding a few, gold, brown and silver bangles and earrings that matched. Finished blow drying my hair, I grabbed a bobble and pulled it into a messy pony, my layers leaving strands of hair falling at both sides of my face.

"Morning honey, feeling better this morning? I just made pancakes and a pot of tea, want some?" Caroline always made sure she was up before me on weekends, making breakfast and tidying things up. Normally, when I reach the bottom stair on the staircase, the first thing Caroline asks me every Saturday morning is something like, 'Want some pancakes, honey?' and on Sunday, 'Bacon and eggs, love?', she would be an excellent Mother that's for sure. With her constant smile on her face, any kid would be lucky to have her as a Mom, I wonder if she's ever thought of having children?  

My typical answer, "Sure thing!" we laughed together.

We were shortly joined by Mathieu in the dining room and began eating our pancakes, discussing normal things we do every morning. They had asked me what had happened last night and knowing my luck, they hadn't forgot about me saying something about 'trouble'. I had told them all of what happened, excluding the names - I didn't want to give false 'first' impressions even though I wasn't entirely sure what had happened last night myself.

Throughout the morning, I had gone shopping with Caroline to pick up a few groceries, helped her and Mathieu plant some new flowers in the back yard, answered a call from Tami which had lasted nearly half an hour, re-painted my nails and now I'm perched on the couch watching an ice hockey game with my brother, waiting for Carter.  

Maybe this was a bad Idea? I've never done this before, what if things get uncomfortable and we have those 'awkward silences'? I hate the thought of that, it would be so embarrassing. I was just about to rush to get my phone to text him that I couldn't make it when the doorbell rang.  

'Shit' I thought, 'too late'.

Mathieu had decided to get the door as I didn't make the effort, my feet were stuck to the floor.  

"Hey, you're Carter, right? Come on in!" I heard my brother say, rather pleased. 

When Carter came in, I could of sworn my mouth dropped all the way to the floor; he was only wearing jeans and a t-shirt but I guess I forgot what he looked like after a nights sleep? He was beautiful. Caroline had took this moment to pop her head around through the kitchen door, she paused to look at him then gave me a quick wink when no-one else was looking then returned to do whatever she was doing in the first place. 

I smiled awkwardly then got up, collecting my bag.  

"Marianne," Mathieu said sternly "be back for eight thirty, no matter what." I nodded quickly and gave him a hug. 

"Don't worry, I will" I whispered before me and Carter set off.

"So, what do you want to see?" Carter asked with a smile, once we were at the movies.  

"Um, anything, I don't mind", he grinned. 

"Okay, so can we have two tickets to see 'Nightmare on Elm Street' please" the man on the other side of the counter smirked before saying, "You sure can, anything else?"  

"Popcorn, Marianne?" Carter questioned. 

"Um yeah, why not?"  

Carter refused to take money from me yet again, so he paid for it on his own then once we got in the theatre, he led me to the back while holding my hand. I looked down, his huge hand covered mine as if weighed less than a mere feather. 

Halfway through the movie, Carter had a hand around my shoulders and the other hand, holding mine. Who knew 'Nightmare on Elm Street' would be so scary! I would bury my head in the crook every time I saw something I didn't like. I'm starting to think he picked this film on purpose, I should have known, the man behind the counter made it pretty obvious, smirking like that. Carter kissed the top of my head, feeling a little more brave I slowly opened my eyes but quickly changed my mind, the dramatic music was enough but Freddy Krueger, no thank you. I quickly re-buried my head in his shirt.

Carter couldn't stop laughing at me when the movie finished so I slapped him playfully in his arm and accidently knocked over the rest of the popcorn too. Uh-oh. We stopped and looked at each for a second before he grabbed my hand and started running out of the cinema, both of us laughing. The cinema was in a big shopping centre with lots of shops and arcades, so when we stopped running I noticed a photo booth.  

"Want to take some pictures? Make some memories?" I asked, grinning.  

"Oh awesome" he said, pulling me in the booth. It was a tiny bench so he sat down and pulled me onto his lap, which I didn't seem mind, surprisingly. I put money in the machine so we could get stickers and those little, small photos that you can put in your purse or wallet.

Many photos were taken, of us pulling tongues and making goofy faces, me kissing his cheek - him kissing mine and then a couple of nice smiley ones too; they came out pretty good. I took one of the stickers of us smiling and stuck it to the booth and giggled before taking another and sticking it to Carters forehead.  

He looked shocked for a second but then took a step towards me, I took a step back. Carter ended up chasing me all around, through shops and everything before I stopped at a bench and sat down, panting.  

"Wow, you're pretty fast" he said, breathless. 

"Thanks, not so bad yourself" I said, in-between breaths. Grabbing the small pictures from his pocket, he ripped them in half so we both could have a share.  

"Thanks" I giggled, he only grinned, showing me his perfect smile; making goose bumps form on forearms. I pealed the sticker off that was still on his head and showed it him, his grin only got bigger.

We spent the rest of the day in the arcade, in pizza hut or outside where there was a little play area for toddlers, he pushed me on the swing, what a gentleman. So when it was just gone past eight, I was surprised - time really does fly when you're having fun.  

Carter drove me back home in the midst of silence, the radio being played faintly but not the slightest bit awkward.

"Maria..." he murmured before I could open the car door.  

"Hm?" I turned to him, but gulped when I saw his eyes dance over my face, finally resting on my lips He slowly, ever so slowly, moved forward, shifting his gaze to my eyes and held it, still moving forward. Instinctively I closed them, my breathing turning hard and rash before I felt the warmth of his mouth on mine; slowly start to move in sync. My stomach fluttered when he ever so lightly licked my bottom lip, causing a small moan to escape. Shocked, I pulled back hesitantly trying my best not to offend him. I gradually opened my eyes to meet his, he smiled cautiously.  

Still in a daze, my shaking hand found the handle to the door, "I had a great time, Carter," I gulped, saying his name this time made my stomach to flutter once again, "I'll s-see you at school on M-monday?" without thinking, I stuttered.  

"Mm" was the only sound he made, he smiled and gave me one last peck on my cheek. I gently climbed from his car and made my way inside, not bothering to turn back - I couldn't, I was shaking too much and I felt completely out of this world.