Chapter 30 (Last Chapter)

"Guys!" Jack yelled, standing up and taking my hand, bringing me up with him. We were careful to get up the steps so I wouldn't fall again, but then ran over to where everyone was looking at us, confused. Conor had woken back up and was staring at us intently. "Guys!"

"Jack, what the hell's going on?" Joe asked, standing up from his spot on the couch.

"Tell them, Mel," he said. "Go on,"

"I remembered," I said, smiling, and it seemed as if everyone's jaw dropped.

"What did you remember?" Oli asked, and my smile grew.

"Well, let's see..." I trailed off. "I remembered going to Summer In The City when Caspar pantsed Oli in front of a group of people. I remembered going to Coachella with you guys last spring, and losing Caspar because he wandered away from our site to go play some lawn games with pretty girls three sites over." My voice cracked then, and the happy tears started to stream down my face, and I only just started to smile even wider. "I remember going to my first show of Conor's in London, sitting and watching from atop a box that was used to hold equipment. Guys, I remember everything."

All of a sudden a cheer erupted, first from Josh, and then Joe, and eventually everyone was cheering, and running up and hugging me. They were all still a little bit drunk, and my sudden remembering of all I'd lost was cause for even more celebration. Conor was far from sleeping again at that point, and they'd decided instead to turn on some music and dance around like idiots instead of watching the movie.

It was so surreal, having it all back again. Watching my friends.... my family... just hanging around and dancing like idiots. Jack decided not to keep drinking that night, wanting to keep his head clear and just focus on me. I think he just liked being able to have a conversation with me about our past that I could contribute to without him needing to fill me in first.

"I'm getting a little bit tired," I told them after awhile. "I think I'm just going to head to bed."

"Goodnight Mel," they all chorused, hugging me, "we love you."

"I love you guys too," I said.

"Here, I'll come down with you," Jack said, taking my hand, and I followed him down the stairs once more, careful this time not to slip in my socks and fall.

"You're coming to bed?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"Sooner or later," he said, "I wanted to give you your present first."

"Okay," I said, following him into the bedroom where his duffel bag sat on the bed. He rummaged through it quickly before pulling out a box wrapped in green paper and handing it to me.

"Happy birthday Mellie," He said with a big smile on his face.

I quickly opened it to reveal a deck of cards with a hole punched through the top left corner and attached to a keyring. On the first card it read '52 Things I Love About You'. I flipped through a few of them slowly at first, unable to keep the smile off my face.

#3. I love the way your eyes light up when 'Paris' by The 1975 comes on shuffle.

#17. I love that you're not afraid to face your fears.

#24. I love that you keep me grounded.

#31. I love your new hair.

#45. I love that you were able to love me again.

#52. I love that you're unstoppable.

"Thank you," I said, looking up at him.

"You're so unbelievably amazing," he said, pulling me close in a hug. "You're so strong, and there's nobody else like you."

"I love you," I told him.

And that was that. The lights were shut off, we got into bed, and tried to sleep.

Key word here being tried.

You see, when there's that much excitement going on, it's hard to sleep. And no matter how hard we did try, it didn't seem to happen.

"Oh, I completely forgot," Jack said, reaching over and turning on the lamp.

"Hmm?" I asked, sitting up.

"I wanted to show you my new tattoo," he said, extending his arm to show me what was now written just above his elbow.

"What is it?" I asked, looking down.

It was a tiny little drawing of a halo with angel wings, and the name 'Bella' was written next to it, in the same script as my tattoo. I traced my fingers over it lightly, keeping my eyes wide.

"Now our little angel's always going to be with us," he said, wrapping his arms around me again. "She's with us everywhere we go."

I laid my head on his shoulder, just watching as he kept talking.

"You really are incredible," he said after awhile. "I've known that for over three years now. I had you, and then I lost you. Then I got you again and now you remember me. You actually remember me. Which means I can do this, and it's not weird or sudden..."

He leaned over the edge of the bed, grabbing something else out of his bag. When he sat back up I recognized the small black ring box in his hand as he opened it up, getting out of bed only so he could get down on one knee.

"Amelie Isabelle, I have loved you ever since the day we met," he said then, his eyes never once leaving mine. "And I promise I will continue to love you until the day that I die. Will you please do me the honor of marrying me?"

I nodded, unable to find the words as the tears filled my eyes. He smiled big as I jumped into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck tightly. He kissed me then, differently than ever before. This one had all the passion of our three years combined. Because he wasn't my boyfriend anymore.

He was so much more than that.

"Jack I would love to do you the honor of being your wife," I said, the tears still streaming down my face as he wiped them away with his thumbs, shakily getting the ring out of the box and slipping it onto my finger.

"My girl," he said. "My unbelievable, unstoppable girl."