Chapter 5

"And lastly, here's your room," Joe said, leading me down the stairs in the flat into his spare room.

I looked around seeing that there was a shelf full of books they had taken from Jack's flat, and the closet was full of clothes. There was a bed in the corner with a black duvet on it, and a little stuffed bear.

"Jack wanted the bear to come with," Joe said. "He got it for you as a present for your first Valentine's Day together. Even I know that whenever you get sad you hug it. So that was the only logical place to put it."

"It's adorable," I said, walking over to the bed and picking up the bear. "And the room is perfect. Thank you, Joe. For all this. The room, taking me in, staying at the hospital with me. I know this can't be entirely easy for you, either."

"I'm happy to do whatever I can to help you." he said. "You've been family to me for twenty-two years now. My family is everything to me. And if there's anything I can do to help, you know that I will. Now why don't you go take a hot shower and change, and I'll make us dinner. Then we can chat and stuff, catch you up a bit."

I nodded and Joe left the room, leaving me alone. The bedroom had its own bathroom, so I went in and found a towel in the cabinet, setting it on top of the counter and stripping down. I stood under the faucet and let the hot water sting my skin, and it was only then that I finally had let the tears fall.

I cried out of frustration over not being able to remember anything. I cried out of sadness for hurting Jack the way I was, and not being able to love him anymore. I cried until I couldn't anymore, and the water was starting to turn cold. So I shut off the shower, stepping out and wrapping myself in a towel before wandering over to my closet.

I noticed that a lot of what I wore was either black, flannel, or a shirt for what I assumed were bands. I wasn't sure what The 1975 was, but I pulled on a t-shirt with that written on it, and a pair of black leggings. I went back up the stairs then to find Joe pulling a pizza out of the oven and setting it on the rack to cool.

"Okay, so tell me about... me." I said, sitting down at the counter as he put a slice of pizza on a plate and set it in front of me before grabbing his own and sitting down.

"Okay, so as you know, you moved here to come be closer to Jack." he started, "But it was also easier with your writing, and you wanted to help us with filming. We have a lot of fun around here. You read a lot. You and Jack like to go to a lot of concerts."

"How can I get myself into a sort of... routine?" I asked. "Jack summed up a little bit of my daily activities. Doctor Richards said that getting me into a routine not unlike my old ones can help my memories come back."

"We can take you to the bookshop," Joe said. "Have you help with some videos again. This may not seem like the best option, but I think the more time you're able to spend over at Jack's, the more it'll help. That is where you spend most of your time, so it makes sense that that's where most of your memories may be taking place."

I nodded. "I mean if you think it'll help, then I'm willing to try it. I'm willing to try anything as long as it'll help. Joe?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Will you tell me about what happened when you found out I was in the accident?" I asked then, and he was silent for a moment before nodding.

"I was with Caspar," he started. "we were filming a collab when we got a call from Conor. Said Jack had gotten a call and was freaking out that you were hurt. Your phone survived and they had found Jack's name as the number one emergency contact and had called him in the ambulance. Oli had been over and was driving Jack because he wasn't able to drive himself. I didn't know the extent of it, so Caspar and I went. We had only just beaten you and were all in the waiting room by the time you'd been brought in, and we saw you get rolled past."

"How bad was it?" I asked.

"It was awful," he said, shaking his head softly. "There was glass in your hair and there was a lot of blood. I've never seen Jack the way I saw him in that moment. You looked dead. We were actually scared you might've been. They rushed you into surgery then, and medically induced the coma you were in until you woke up."

"I'm so sorry I put you all through that," I said softly.

"It wasn't your fault," Joe assured me, "and the one whose fault it is is paying for it in jail."

"Was he hurt?" I asked, and Joe angrily shook his head.

"Not a scratch," he said, "but now he's got jail time to pay."

"I'm okay," I said, "but I need to find a way to get my memories back."

"We'll get them back," Joe assured me. "And first thing tomorrow your lessons start."