It's The Little Things

Since Easter's coming up, I decided to do this one. I've actually been thinking about it for awhile and I don't know why. But this is just a cute and fun chapter and I hope you guys enjoy!

Ponyboy's POV:

I put on an oversized flannel that looked decently nice enough for the Easter thing at church. The gang asked to come along. Darry was hesitant because of what happened when we brought them to church last, but he decided that they could come along.

"How does this look?" I asked Johnny. Johnny looked up. He was wearing black everything. "You look fine." He said. I turned to him. "You sure you wanna wear that? It's gonna be warm and you look goth." Johnny sighed. I've been offering him some of my other dress clothes, but he won't take it. "I'll try to find a shirt." He said opening up my closet.

"Pony! Hewlp!" I heard Skylar yell running down the hall. Johnny gave me a concerned look. "It's okay." I said. "She's seen me, Sodapop, and Darry without a shirt. Her innocence isn't ruined until Two-bit tells her how babies are really made." Johnny nodded and continued to look through my closet. Skylar had on a purple and white spring dress. She had a purple barrette in her hair pushing her bangs out of the way. Skylar stood in the door way, holding her white sandals. "Yes?" I asked kneeling down. "Can you hewlp me put dees on?" She asked.
"Sure. Hop up on the bed." I said patting the bed. Skylar climbed up on the bed and put her sandals beside her. I put them on her just in time, because it was time to leave.

I carried Skylar downstairs while Johnny followed, quickly tucking his shirt in. I set Skylar down in front of the door. Sodapop was still trying to figure out how to button his shirt and Steve was eating the chocolate cake we made the other day. Dally was downing beer with Two-bit. Dally can't stand churches. I don't know why. He just can't. And Two-bit is drinking because..... He's Two-bit. Darry came out, took the beer bottles from them, handed me Skylar's backpack, and yelled at all of us to get in the van Tim Shepard let us borrow.

On the way to the church, Darry lectured us about how we have to behave ourselves. To be nice and use manners and to not eat all the Easter candy. The worst thing of all. We all have to leave our phones in the car. We all groaned, but Darry stopped us. "We're not walking in while having a conversation about which girl on Instagram has the bigger boobs. Or about which relative we're trying to avoid on Facebook. Or what the other person said on Snapchat when they were drunk." He scolded.

I looked over at Skylar. The horror on her face was worse than most of ours combined. Darry looked at Skylar through the mirror. "And no hounding others to play games on their phone." Skylar lightly slammed her head back in her car seat. "Why?" She asked. "Because we are there to have a nice time with each other and I don't want the others to think that we are screw ups. What happened last time is history and we don't need a repeat. Am I clear?" We all groaned, mumbled, or choked out a yes.

When we got to the church, I noticed Skylar's and Sodapop's facial expressions. The faces that showed that they were mad at Darry for making them leave the phones in the car. Sodapop is always on Snapchat or Instagram and Skylar is always playing some kind of game on our phones. I saw Soda sneak his phone in his pocket. He looked over to me. I nodded, letting him know that I would keep quiet about it.

Skylar continued to be grumpy as we entered the church. She got even grumpier when people crowded around her and squeezed her in hugs. I looked over at Darry. He gave her a warning glance, but Skylar didn't back down. She was uncomfortable and she wanted everyone to know it. Two-bit, Steve, and Soda could see that she was upset, so they took her aside to the small swing set outside.

I could see Darry was at ease as they brought her outside. Darry already had a long talk with her about saying no. It's still her favorite word. She says it almost all the time. Darry told her it wasn't nice to say when someone asks you to do something, but Skylar doesn't care. The gang finds it cute when she rebels, but Darry doesn't.

I went outside to see what Skylar, Two-bit, Soda, and Steve were doing. Two-bit tickled Skylar's sides as he pushed her on the swing. Skylar giggled and kicked her legs as she went higher. Soda took a video on his phone and posted it on Snapchat. I gave him a glare. "What?" He asked. I shrugged. He knew what he was getting himself into.

Then the church people called for the kids to do an Easter egg hunt. Skylar got bored after she found more than half the eggs. Steve kept telling her where they were. Soda took a few pictures and posted them on Facebook.

A while later, Skylar walked over to a small meadow. I walked with her. Skylar stared at all the flowers. Especially the purple ones. Purple is her favorite color.

She started to pick some when she saw a bumble bee buzzing around the flowers. Skylar whimpered, trying to get the bee to go away. I bent down. "You don't need to be afraid of that bee." I told her. "She's not going to hurt you, if you don't hurt her. Lemme show you somethin."

I took Skylar's hand and cupped it. I put it near the bumble bee that was on a flower. The bee slowly buzzed on to Skylar's hand. Skylar giggled as the wings tickled her hand. "See? She likes you." I said hugging Skylar.

I then heard a camera click. I looked next to me. Soda stood there taking pictures with his phone. "Look Sodie!" Skylar smiled. Soda smiled too. "I see baby! That's so cool!"

"We have to let Ms bumble bee go now." I said to Skylar. I took her hand. "Blow her off into the air gently." I told her. Skylar blew gently. The bee left after a few blows. "Bye bye Bee!" Skylar yelled waving. She then blew it a kiss. I chuckled and picked Skylar up. "Easter isn't so bad, now is it?" Skylar shook her head. "What is Easterw?" She asked.
"Well, Easter is celebrate Jesus coming out if his grave-sorta-thing." I explained.
"Zombies." Skylar said putting her arms out like a zombie. I smiled. "You're so silly."
Skylar giggled as a piece of cake was sat down in front of me and her when we sat in a seat.

After eating, we decided to leave. I left with Skylar to pick more flowers, but we just ended up laying on them. Skylar soon fell asleep. I heard a camera click. I turned around. It was Soda.....Again. I rolled my eyes and got up. Soda picked Skylar up and carried her to the Van.

As we drove down the driveway of the church, Darry looked at his phone. "Soda, why does it say you posted a picture on Facebook 15 minutes ago. And why is it of Ponyboy and Skylar in the meadow?"