Sleep Without Pain

Sodapop's POV:

Skylar hid her face into Johnny's chest as he held her in his lap. When Skylar took a nap earlier, she must've done something to her teeth, because around one tooth her gums were red. This caused her to tear up a little while she ate and after, she was in extreme pain. Darry put ice on her jaw and she felt a little better. But right now, she's tired and she doesn't want to sleep after what happened when she took a nap.

Johnny rubbed her back as she quietly sniffled. This sort of reminded me when Johnny had a new scar from a soc and Skylar asked him about it. He told her that he accidentally scratched himself. (Darry doesn't want us telling Skylar about socs and what they do) Skylar said, "I'lw make it bettow." And kissed his scar. Johnny smiled as Skylar cuddled up against him.

Darry looked up from the TV to the clock. "Alright Skylar." He said. "You ready to go to bed?" Skylar shook her head against Johnny's chest.
"C'mon Skylar." Darry said standing up. "You got preschool tomorrow." Skylar looked up at him and shook her head. She laid back up against Johnny. "Ponyboy and I can put her to bed." Johnny suggested.
Ponyboy looked over at him and shook his head. Johnny nodded. "Okay fine." Ponyboy mumbled. "Alright then." Darry smiled. "Thank you."

Johnny picked Skylar up and gave her to Darry. She gave him a kiss on the cheek and said goodnight. She did the same to me. Then they all three went upstairs.

Johnny's POV:

I set Skylar down in the bathroom in front of the sink. "Help her brush her teeth while I get her pajamas ready." I said to Ponyboy.
"Why do I have to do it?" Ponyboy asked.
"Because you're her brother." I said before leaving the both of them in the bathroom.

I laid out Skylar's Little Mermaid pajamas and got out The Little Mermaid book. Skylar absolutely loves mermaids and The Little Mermaid is definitely her favorite movie. Her bed even has Ariel on it.

I heard Skylar cry out in pain. I knew it was her tooth. Ponyboy quickly went to comfort her. "Hey, it's okay. Here, let me do that one for you."
I look into the bathroom. Ponyboy kneeled as he brushed over Skylar's aching tooth. I smiled as Skylar sighed in relief.

After Pony got Skylar's teeth brushed, he closed the bathroom door, coming out. "Is Skylar still in there?" I asked. Pony nodded.
"Why did you leave her in there?" I asked.
"She's using the bathroom." Ponyboy replied.
"Geez Pony, grow a pair!" I said going back into Skylar's room and continue setting up her stuff.

Skylar ran out of the bathroom and into her room in just a pull-up. I smiled and set her on her bed. "Look Sky!" I exclaimed, showing her the mermaid pajamas. Skylar smiled and raised her arms up so I could put her top on. She insisted on doing the bottoms, so I let her do that while Ponyboy brought in her dirty clothes and put them in the hamper.

Skylar stuck her feet under the covers as I tucked her in. I gave her the stuffed bunny that was on top of her pillows and her passy. I laid down next to her on the bed and opened The Little Mermaid book.

Skylar looked up at Ponyboy and patted the empty spot next to her. Ponyboy rolled his eyes fondly and laid down next to Skylar.

I handed Ponyboy the book. "Here, you read." I said turning over to my side.
"Why can't you?" He asked.
"I did everything else to get her ready for bed. You can read a small picture book."

Ponyboy opened the book and started reading. Skylar cuddled into Pony's chest and held on to my arm while he read.

Skylar looked so content as he read. She sucked on her passy gently and tried to keep her eyelids open. She looked very happy to be where she was. Even if her tooth was hurting, she was very happy.

When Pony finished the book, Skylar knew that it was time to go to sleep. She rubbed her eyes and whined. "No! No sweep yet! Wead stowy 'gain." I looked at Ponyboy. "Is she allowed to have another one?" I asked. Pony shook his head. Skylar started crying. She took out her passy from her mouth. "Tooth huwt." I felt bad. I looked at Pony. He tried to hold back his sad look, but couldn't. Skylar cried louder, until pony shushed her because he didn't want Darry coming up and thinking he couldn't do something as simple as putting his baby sister to sleep.

Pony laid down next to her again. He handed me the book. "Read it." He said. I was confused, but Pony gave me the knowing look that said: "I have a plan."
I nodded and laid back down.

As I read, I looked over at Pony and Skylar. Pony was rubbing his fingers over Skylar's back. Skylar wasn't asleep. She was passed out. Her passy hanging from her mouth, almost falling out. Her stuffed rabbit laying limp in her arm. Her soft snores barely audible.

Pony carefully got off the bed and so did I. Pony turned on the night light and left her door open a bit. Then we walked downstairs, trying not to make a sound.

Darry looked up at us for his paper. "Is she asleep?" He asked. We nodded. "Easy." Ponyboy said. Darry nodded. "Oh. Well, since it was so easy for you Pony, do you mind doing it the rest of the week?" Pony's eyes widened. "She's yours." He said slumping into the couch.