Babysitting​

This story is in this century, but they still have socs and all dat.

Sodapop's POV:

Darry went out with a couple of high school friends and Ponyboy and I offered to babysit Skylar for the day. Darry was very sceptical about leaving Skylar with us, but then he left us a list. As if we didn't know what time she eats lunch and takes a nap.

Darry left as soon as we finished eating breakfast and after we got dressed. He said that he would be back by the time Ponyboy and I get ready for bed.

Skylar watched sadly as he drove away. She turned towards​ my legs and hid her face on my pant leg. I knelt down and hugged her. I knew she was upset that Darry left. I patted and rubbed her back as she sniffled into my shirt.

I stood up and carried her inside. In there, her cries were more vocal. I swayed and told her that everything was okay. It did cease her cries, but she was still sniffling.

I set her down in front of her toy box that's​ in my old room. I opened it and grabbed a couple of dolls. Skylar rubbed her eye as she watched me get out all of her dolls. Soon, she started digging through the toy box with me.

I played with her for about two hours or so. I looked at the time on my phone. It was getting close to lunchtime. "Stay here, Skylar." I told her. "I'll be right back."

I went into the kitchen and found Ponyboy drawing. "Whatcha drawing?" I asked him. He looked up. "I'm trying to draw an abstract picture of the fantasy world's magical creature and then paint it." He said. I cocked an eyebrow. Ponyboy sighed. "I'm drawing a dragon."
I nodded.

The front door opened. I looked to see Steve and Two-bit trying to squeeze through each other to get in. Dallas was behind them. He rolled his eyes. Johnny came through the back door.

We all said our hellos and all that business​ before Steve asked where Darry was. "He's out with some friends." I replied. "We're babysitting Skylar."
"He didn't take her with him?" Johnny asked. I shook my head. "I'm just as surprised as you. There's no telling what we could do with her in a day."

Two-bit's head appeared from the fridge. "So where is shorty anyways?"
"In her playroom." I replied. Two-bit slipped away upstairs.

I sat down on the couch and watched TV and talk with the gang. We were interrupted by Skylar squealing. Tiny footsteps made it's way downstairs. Skylar looked behind her before saying, "Hide me! Wewre pwaying hide-n-seek!" Steve put her in his lap and grabbed one of Darry's newspapers. "Be quiet." Steve said to all of us. He opened up the newspaper when Two-bit came downstairs and went out on the back porch.

"Skylar." I whispered. She looked over at me. "What do you want for lunch?" "Whateber. I got da money." She held up Two-bit's wallet. The gang and I started laughing hard as Skylar giggled.

After eating out, we came back. Ponyboy wanted to go somewhere with Two-bit, so I let him go. Dallas and Johnny went to the lot and Steve stayed in the living room as I got Skylar ready for her nap. As always, she's not sleepy.

"Skylar, c'mon." I begged. "I'll read you a story of you want, but you gotta get in bed."
Skylar dramatically fell on her butt as tears ran down her face. "Skylar." I sighed. "Don't make this difficult." I picked her up and set her on the bed. I covered her up with a blanket and gave her the stuffed lamb that was on the floor and her passy.

I got out a book and started reading it. About 5 pages in, she was asleep. I turned on her nightlight, shut her curtains, and left her door open a crack. I went back downstairs to Steve and we watched TV.

When Skylar woke up, I put a new pull-up on her and we went downstairs. I turned on Noggin for her.(Okay, I know it's called Nick jr. now, but I miss Noggin. I mean, who doesn't?)

After awhile, everyone came back and we went out to eat again. This time, it was a sit down restaurant. I could tell Skylar was a bit annoyed that she had to sit in an uncomfortable booster seat, so I handed her my phone so she could play games on it.

As I was talking to the gang, I glanced over at Skylar, who was still playing games. I carry on talking, then I hear Skylar say, "Hewwo?" I look over at her. I tried to take my phone, but she turned away. "Who is it?" I asked. Skylar shrugged. "Swome cute giwl." The gang laughed when she said that. I grabbed my phone. It was a girl who visited the DX regularly. I talked to her for a minute, then handed my phone back to Skylar. "When someone calls me, tell me. Don't answer it." I said. Skylar nodded and continued to play games.

When we got home, I have Skylar a bath. I let her play with her toys a little longer than Darry would. I helped her out of the tub and helped her change into a new pull-up and pajamas.

She played with the gang a little bit before bed. They were actually getting her riled up, but I didn't notice, until I carried her into her bedroom.

She reached her arm behind my shoulder to the doorway. "I wanna play mowe." She said as I laid her down. "We're going to sleep right now." I said grabbing a book. Skylar crossed her arms and tried to hold back tears. "I want Dawr!" She cried. Skylar threw herself into my arms. I held her as she cried for Darry. I rubbed her back and assured her that he would be here by the time she wakes up. Skylar still felt sad.

I pulled out my phone and looked for Darry's number. I talked to him for a second explaining the information. Darry asked me to give Skylar the phone. I did. Skylar let out a sniffly hello. More tears ran down her cheeks as Darry talked. After a few minutes, she gave the phone back to me after saying "I wuv you." to Darry. Darry told me that Skylar was okay and to just put her to sleep.

I picked up the book I had out, gave Skylar her lamb and passy. I started to read the story as Skylar snuggled into my shoulder. I looked down at her as she snored through her passy. I smiled lightly and kissed her head. I turned on her nightlight and left the door open a little.

When the gang left, Ponyboy and I started getting ready for bed. Darry came in. "How was Skylar?" He asked. "A handful." I replied. Darry chuckled and patted my shoulder. "Ain't so easy now, is it?" I shook my head and went to bed, very exhausted.