Chapter 27

I woke up to the smell off apple pies and stuffing. It was thanksgiving today, and everyone was coming over. I turned over and reached for Otto, but he was already out of bed. He must be down stairs helping out. I got out of bed and walked downstairs. I walked into the kitchen area to find Otto helping my mom out with homemade cookies.

"Aww, this is so cute seeing you two get along so fast." I squeal in excitement.

Otto and my mom both started laughing.

"Well I'm glad you're up. Now you can come and help us out. You and Otto can make the rest of the desserts while I make the main course dishes."

"Yes ma'am."

I walked over to Otto and he gave me a quick kiss on the lips. We then continued on with the recipe. He already put in the flour, sugar, and brown sugar. We just had to put in the eggs, vanilla extract, and butter. While I went to put the eggs in, Otto took flour and blew it in my face. I of course had to retaliate back, so I did the same thing. It almost went onto a full food fight, but my mom stopped it.

"You two are something else. Food is for eating, not throwing. Now get back to making this cookies. The guest will start coming around one."

I checked the clock and saw that it was 9:35. Otto and I continued on making the cookies, while my mom was starting on the macaroni. The food smelled so good, I just had to sneak a little bite. I went to sneak a bite of the ham, but my mom shooed my hand away.

"Not now jess. Wait until the guest come."

I sighed and continued working. The cookies were done now. All that we needed to do was make the cake. I searched through the cabinets, looking for all the ingredients. I found everything and started to make the cake. Otto's phone was ringing, so he went to go answer it.

"He's a true keeper Jessica. He was talking about how much he loved and cared for you while you were asleep. I think he might put a ring on it soon."

"Mom! Otto and I have only been dating for a couple of months. Four months to be exact. It's way too early to talk about marriage."

"I'm just saying, I wouldn't he surprised if.."

She stopped in the middle of her sentence. I was stirring the cake batter, until she snatched my arm.

"What is this! Jess, please tell me this isn't what I think it is."

I looked at what she was talking about. It was what she was thinking about. It was my scars. They were faded, but still very visible. I totally forgot about them. I slowly turned to my mom and saw the tears swelling up in her eyes. I had to tell her everything now.

"Jess, answer me!"

Tears were now running down her face. How careless was I?Why didn't I hide them from her? I was so happy, that I forgot about my rough past.

"Listen, mom, I think you need to sit down." We sat down at the table, and I confessed."Yes, it is scars. Yes, I used to cut. But listen, I used to, not anymore. I was in a really, really shitty place. For some reason, cutting was some sort of release. It wasn't until I met Otto, that I realized I didn't need to cut. Well, I thought I did t need to. I had my ups and downs, and I, um,had to go to the mental hospital a couple of times. But everything is fine now, I'm okay. I promise."

My mom was in a puddle of emotions. I wish I could've told her a different way. I wish she didn't had to find out this way.

"Why would you do this to yourself?You are so beautiful. What made you do this?"

It was kind of hard to understand her through all the crying, but I managed to understand.

"Well, I.. I... I was anorexic. I hated the way I looked. I starved myself to look what I thought was perfect. I cut myself when I would eat too much, or when I thought I needed it. Otto cam along and helped me. He truly helped me. He made me see how beautiful I truly was. He mad me feel wanted. But even after he came into my life, I still hated myself. I tried taking my life, but Otto stopped me. I promise you I'm better, mom."