Chapter 32: Candlelit Questions

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter up. It's been hard to write with my work schedule and puppy recently, but I bought a new tablet so I have been able to get more writing done the past few days or so. I hope this will continue to help me get the last few chapters done. Also, I feel like I made a mistake in counting how many chapters are left in this story. There are, after this chapter, 3 more- including the alternate ending. My plan is to sit down and write them all in the coming weeks- especially come mid-May. I'll be in Florida on vacation, and I plan on writing as much as I possibly can while I'm there. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Special shoutout to my friend Ally ( allyycatt ) for making a new cover for this story! I think this one is much better. Thanks again, love! :)

*************************************************************************

"Well I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know. She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home." ~ Perfect, Ed Sheeran

Audrey wasn't much of a dancer. In her just over twenty years of life, she could count on one hand how many times she danced. She only needed a finger to count how many times she had been taken out for the sole purpose of dancing. Yet here she was, twirling around on the dance floor with Artemis having the time of her life.

It was a rare date night. She and Artemis didn't get many of them, which was to be expected with a toddler and Artemis working as much as he did. Most of the time, they just went to dinner and then went right back home. This time, however, he had taken her to some ballroom after they had a light dinner. They each had gotten dressed up- Audrey in a new dress, and Artemis had once again worn his favored suit. He didn't wear suits as frequently these days, mostly to avoid having them ruined by messy little Scorpius, and Audrey was glad to see him all dressed up again.

Honestly, Audrey hadn't taken Artemis as much of a dancer either, but he surprised her once again. They had been there for about an hour, and even though her feet hurt quite a bit, Audrey honestly wouldn't have minded staying even longer. It had thus far been a pretty romantic evening, and Audrey was fully enjoying being this close to Artemis. But as the song dwindled to an end and Artemis spun her around one last time, she had a feeling they would be heading back home soon, and back to their normal everyday lives. Sure enough, Artemis led her off the dance floor, and back over to the table where Audrey had left her bag. Audrey watched as he made a hasty glance at his watch before looking back to her.

"We should probably head out," he replied, but his voice sounded more anxious than ever before.

Audrey nodded, knowing very well that it was getting late. Without a word, she picked up her purse, and linked arms with her boyfriend before following him outside into the cool November air. Artemis led her down the street, towards a small park. This confused Audrey a little bit, but she assumed it was so they had a safer place to Apparate back to the manor so she followed without question. However, the closer they got to the park, the more Audrey realized Artemis was up to something.

Upon reaching the park's entrance, Audrey noticed the pathway through the park was dimly lit with small candles. She glanced up at her boyfriend curiously. "Artemis? What's with the candles?" she asked, her confusion very evident in her voice.

"You'll see," was all Artemis said as he offered her a reassuring smile.

Audrey took a deep breath as the two of them continued their walk through the park, not sure what she should expect. After following the winding path for a bit, a small wooden gazebo came into view. It was lit up just like the pathway, and as they got closer to it, Audrey took notice of several strands of photos hanging from the nearby trees and columns of the gazebo. She stopped for a moment to look at the pictures, and realized that they were all of her and Artemis at some point in their relationship, even some prior to them being official. All the happy memories surrounding her put a smile back on her face, and the suspicion she had dissipated. She turned to look at Artemis, only to see him smiling nervously back at her.