Chapter 18: Saying Goodbye

Hey everyone! Sorry this took so long for me to update! I wanted to get Giving Him Hope done, and now that it is, this story is my first priority! I have four more chapters planned for this story, so be prepared for the chaos that is about to begin. Hope you all enjoy!

******************************************************************

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done; help me leave behind some reasons to be missed. And don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory... Leave out all the rest." ~ Leave Out All The Rest, Linkin Park

            It had been a while since Audrey had been to a funeral. While she had been in attendance for Dumbledore's, it hadn't affected her as badly as this one. There she had been able to sit in the back row out of sight; here at her father's funeral she was in the front row, and couldn't escape someone giving her condolences for more than a few minutes. Not to mention she hadn't been one of those close to her headmaster so she wasn't incredibly upset at his funeral. Sad, definitely, but nothing like she was now.

            Despite the recent times, she had had a great relationship with her father, and this was not how she had ever imagined she would have to say goodbye to him. He died with him still thinking she hated him, that she would never allow him to be in his grandchild's life. Sure, Audrey had said all those things, but she certainly didn't mean it. She said them all out of anger, out of frustration that he wouldn't give Draco a chance to prove he wasn't like the rest. Of course now, it was too late to make amends with her father, and guilt and regret plagued her thoughts.

            As another sob caught itself in her throat, she felt the arm around her waist pull her closer. She had almost forgotten Draco, or anyone else for that matter, was sitting next to her. On her other side, her mother was going through probably the second box of tissues since that morning. Fianna had been a wreck, and Audrey couldn't blame her. Losing the love of her life, someone she had been with for nearly her whole life, couldn't be easy, and Audrey never wanted to experience what it was like.

            She glanced past her mother to see her younger brother, Rupert, sitting there stony faced as could be. He had never been an emotional individual, and it was showing here. There was a reason he was sent to Durmstrang and not to Hogwarts with her. The boy had been a pain growing up, and desperately needed some discipline in his life. Now she was wishing he hadn't received exactly that. He was stoic and unemotional, and that was not what the girl needed to get through this.

            While the front row was generally reserved for immediate family, her mother had permitted Artemis, Nicole, and Ron to sit on the other side of Audrey and Draco, something that Audrey had been incredibly grateful for. Those three had been incredibly helpful to her through the past few days, and there was no way she was ever going to be able to thank them for their kindness. The three of them had been the friends she had needed in this dark time, doing their best to make sure she, Draco, and her mother were all taken care of. It was more than what any of her other friends had done, and that broke her heart even more. She was growing tired of being an inconvenience to a few of her "friends," and only acknowledged when she was needed for something or if the situation required it.

            Krystie and Fred had hardly said a word to her about the whole ordeal, something that irritated her to no end. If the situation had been reversed, they would be up in arms about the lack of support. She got it; they were newlywed with a baby on the way. Kudos to them, but she was in the same boat, really. How hard was it to stop focusing on yourself for a few moments to help a grieving friend? She shook her head at the thought. Not all of her friends could be as helpful as Artemis, Nicole, or Ron, she supposed.