Chapter 27: Honestly

Hi again! So for the 4th time in 6 days, I'm updating! I'm seriously concerned with how well this story has been flowing for me recently, but I'm trying to take advantage of it while I can. I haven't avoided packing completely. I did pack 10 boxes and all of our books up today, so I did take care of my responsibilities first, I promise! :)

In case it wasn't obvious, just under a year has passed since the last chapter.

Hope you all enjoy! :)

****************************************************************

"My world could fall apart. This life could get too hard. There's so much that I can lose, but it don't matter long as I got you." ~I Got U, Blake Lewis

Audrey quickly adjusted the shirt Scorpius was wearing before gently sitting her son on the floor next to her. It was a pretty big day, and she was hoping that he managed to stay relatively clean so she wouldn't have to change him before guests arrived. Scorpius had just turned one year old a few weekends ago now, and they were finally throwing him a small party to celebrate. So many things had changed in the past year, and most of all, Audrey couldn't believe how much her son had grown since the day he was born. He was already crawling and standing, although a bit wobbly. He knew a few words, and was constantly trying to communicate with his mother and Artemis both. Audrey wouldn't be surprised if he started walking soon. Just the thought was enough to make her tear up, so she blinked a few times to clear her eyes.

Before she could start getting too emotional, she felt a hand rest on her shoulder. She didn't even need to turn to know it was Artemis. "Yes, love?" she asked.

"The guests should be arriving here soon," he responded. "We should probably head downstairs to greet them."

Audrey nodded. "I'm only sitting for a moment. I know today is going to be crazy, so I thought sitting for a moment wouldn't hurt. This is the first time we've seen our friends in almost two months," she replied. "I mean, we haven't seen Ron and Nicole since their wedding in March, and I guess we haven't seen Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Molly, and Arthur in just as long."

"Has it already been two months?" Artemis asked. "How time has flown..."

Audrey glanced down at Scorpius, who had crawled himself over to the window and was content with watching whatever was going on outside. "You're telling me," she agreed. "It's really hard to believe he's one now. I swear we brought him home from the hospital yesterday."

"And he looks more like his father every day," Artemis added, and even though today was supposed to be a happy day, Audrey was reminded that things were not the way she had ever pictured them. Draco had been dead for well over a year now, and his absence was still plaguing her everyday life.

In this first year alone, there had been so many milestones, so many things that a mother would want to share with the father of her children. And yet, to no fault of his own, Draco wasn't able to be there for any of it. In Draco's absence, she had been able to share every milestone with Artemis. Despite him taking on a job at the Ministry in the Department of Mysteries, he had been somehow present to see every major milestone in Scorpius' life- everything from rolling over, his first tooth, crawling, standing, his first words. Having someone to share these special moments had definitely helped ease Audrey's mind about Draco.

Artemis had been more helpful than Audrey could've ever imagined. He had literally become the father figure in Scorpius' life, just like Ron had predicted. He had filled in for Draco's role perfectly. He stayed up late with Scorpius, he fed him, changed him, rocked him to sleep, played with him... everything a father would've done. It was so much more than Audrey had planned on him taking on, and she was so grateful for what he had done for her to this point. It made her heart so happy that he was so good to her and her son.