Chapter 28- Loki

I was sitting on the chair cross-legged, Colleen sitting in my lap, as I brushed her raven black hair into pigtails. Earlier, I had put on an episode of My Little Pony, which is one of her favorite shows, so she was watching that, too oblivious to what was going on around her, while Michael was playing with his Avengers action figures on the floor. The two two year olds were quite content with their lives so far. I couldn't help but smile at how amazingly they were growing up to be.

"Hey Loki?" Anthony called as he rounded the corner. I looked up, just finishing Colleen's pigtails.

"Yes sweetie?" I asked. He bit his lip.

"Fury called-" He started. I crossed my arms and leaned back in the chair.

"Pirate guy!" Michael cheered. We both looked to him. I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah buddy." Anthony agreed. He turned back to me. "Anyway, he called-" He continued. I raised an eyebrow.

"What happened to you being retired?" Anthony frowned as he walked over. I set Colleen on the floor; she toddled over to her brother and started playing with the Thor and Black Widow action figure. Michael laughed and played along with the Hawkeye and Captain America ones. "Anthony, you said you would."

"I know, I know." He whispered. "But we're not fighting." I shot him a look. "We're not! These superpowered twins got on SHIELD's radar; we're going to bring them to the good side." I looked over at our kids who weren't paying attention to anything around them. I sighed, looking down to my lap. Anthony ran his hand through my hair. "Loki, I can't talk my way out of this. And, as the mother of twins, don't you want them to be safe?" I nodded.

"Yes, I know." I admitted sadly, looking into Anthony's soft brown eyes. "Promise me you'll come back alive?" He chuckled softly and shook his head.

"You know I can't promise that." I smiled sadly. He stroked my cheek. "But I should be fine." I nodded. "You know I love you." I nodded again, sitting up slightly to kiss him. He smiled softly before walking away to go get ready. "He said it shouldn't take longer than a week." He called over his shoulder. I glanced back, nodding slightly. Colleen looked up from playing with the action figures.

"Where's daddy going?" She asked, setting the toys aside. I walked over before sitting on the floor next to them, pulling Colleen onto my lap. She giggled softly as Michael climbed onto my lap as well. I held them close.

"Daddy's going with your aunt and uncles to go save a brother and sister from doing the wrong thing." I said softly.

"Oh." She pouted slightly.

"Is daddy going to come back alive?" Michael asked, his brow furrowing slightly. I kissed his forehead.

"Of course he will." I promised even though I didn't really believe it myself. With all the missions he's been on before, who's to say he'll make it out alive after this one? Hell, he almost died trying to save New York from me. But isn't that what parenthood was supposed to be? Making sure your children believe even if you don't?

Minutes later, we watched as the Avengers ran out of the house and out towards the jet that was waiting outside. Thor and Anthony flew themselves so I'm assuming the mission wasn't too far away. I looked back at my loving children to see them almost break down in tears. I wrapped them in a hug.

"Hey, don't cry. Daddy will come back." I cooed. Colleen held onto my shirt with her small hand. "He'll come home and then we'll all go out for ice cream."

"P-promise?" Michael asked, his lower lip trembling. I nodded my head and linked pinkies with him.

"Pinkie promise." I glanced over at the clock. "Now, let's go eat lunch." I walked into the kitchen with Michael at my side and Colleen in my arms. "What do you guys want?"

"Mac n' cheese!" They cheered. I chuckled softly as I put Colleen in her seat and then helped Michael get in his before I started the macaroni and cheese.

Once it was ready, I put some on a plate for Michael and then some for Colleen. After handing them their plates, I started making myself a grilled cheese sandwich. When my sandwich was ready, I sat down with my food and we ate lunch together.

"I was thinking after lunch we watch a movie and then you two take a nap." I started. "How does that sound?" Michael pouted.

"Finding Nemo?" Colleen asked before Michael could say anything. I nodded.

"Not that movie!" Michael complained. I looked to him, an eyebrow raised.

"And what would you like to watch, Michael, if you don't want watch Finding Nemo?" I asked him. He frowned in thought.

"Angry Birds!" He cheered. I looked to my daughter who was glaring at her brother.

"Nemo!" She argued. "Nemo, Nemo, Nemo!" Michael balled his little fists.

"No, Angry Birds!" He fired back. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"We can watch both today, calm down you two." I found a coin in my pocket and decided what to do with it. "Let's flip a coin then. Heads we watch Nemo before your nap, tails we watch Angry Birds first." I flipped the coin and it landed on heads. "Nemo first."

"That's unfair!" Michael yelled. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Michael, you watched me flip the coin." I reasoned. "How is it unfair?" He frowned slightly.

"I don't know." He mumbled. "But you love Colly more!" I shook my head.

"I love you both equally." I stated, getting up to get a washcloth so I could clean those two before we watched the movie. "Your father and I do not pick favorites." Michael mumbled something to himself. "You are so much like your father." I muttered.

After I cleaned my two two year olds, we walked into the living room and the twins sat on the couch. I walked over and put the DVD in the player before sitting down in between my kids. They both leaned their heads on me as we watched the movie. I looked between the two, eyes already glued to the screen. I smiled softly.

"What would I do without you two?"