THIRTY ➳ BEING CAREFUL

"Allison, are you okay?" Lydia asked as the three girls stepped onto the escalator of Macy's.

It was quite odd. Rowan hadn't been out much to shop with Lydia, always holing herself up in her own bedroom where she felt the safest. She'd scroll through her tumblr, sleep, occasionally go downstairs for a snack, and then repeat the process. Kate told her to be like a normal teenager who doesn't know anything, so Rowan didn't change her ways. But, she still did think of that night with her dead family and that night in the basement quite frequently.

"Rowan, are you okay?"

Rowan finally snapped out of her own thoughts when Lydia nudged her, almost sending her down the moving stairs. It seemed that both Allison and Rowan were distant today, but they quickly snapped out of it when Lydia looked at the two curiously.

"Nothing's wrong. I just have a lot on my mind," Allison said, tucking a loose tendril of black behind her ear. Rowan nodded her head to agree as the escalator continued to rise.

"You guys could smile at least," Lydia informed the two girls. She flipped some of her strawberry blonde hair over her shoulder before smirking. "Ever heard of the saying, Never frown. Someone could be falling in love with your smile?" Lydia inquired.

She rolled her eyes when the other two gave her blank stares. "If they really wanna fall in love with me, they have to fall for my scowl, death stare, and resting bitch face. I'm just giving them a sneak peek into the whirlwind of deathly romance we'll share," Rowan drawled out. Lydia smacked her in the back of the head, causing Allison to giggle.

"There's that smile, Allison!" Lydia cooed as she pinched her friend's rosy cheeks. "After all, I am buying you a dress."

"I have to admit, as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected," the pale girl said, referring to the incident in the coach's office. Rowan shuddered at the memory.

"Excellent," Lydia stated, smiling as she did so.

Allison then darted a mischief look over to Rowan who raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "But not as much as I'm going to ask," Allison finished.

The three girls finally reached the top of the stairs, only to stop when Rowan began to laugh. "What's that supposed to mean?" the brunette wondered aloud, trying to muffle her giggles with her hand. Lydia continued to gawk, placing an offended hand on her chest. Allison only smiled widely.

"It means you're going to cancel on whatever dumb, roided-up jock you said yes to, and you're gonna go with someone else," Allison said.

Rowan watched Lydia scoff, eyes going wide. "Who?" she spat as Allison looked over to Rowan with a wide grin. They both gave her a look and Rowan reciprocated it with an expression that said "don't-look-at-me-because-I-don't-know."

All of a sudden, Allison drifted her stare to a familiar boy that Rowan had a deep hatred for. There, by the racks of clothing, was Hunter from the bowling alley. He and his annoyingly shaggy, blonde hair fell over his eyes like a curtain as he itched his crotch and then brought it back up to shift through suit jackets.

As Lydia gaped at Allison, Rowan couldn't help but drop her jaw and widen her eyes. It was like a trigger was pulled when Rowan made this inhumane noise that caused everyone to look at her. She let out this awkward squeal before laughing obnoxiously, covering her mouth to stop the sounds. It continued to echo throughout the store though.

"Him," Allison smiled, pointing her index finger at Hunter. Rowan laughed harder, throwing her head back and almost tumbling down the escalator from her awful balance.

She clutched her stomach in hysterias, letting these tears of joy slide down her face. Lydia stomped her foot, and humphed. "Fine," she spat, crossing her arms over her chest, swinging her purse in the process. It hit Rowan in the side as she giggled.