SEVENTEEN ➳ SHATTERED

Everyone took two stairs at a time as they sprinted upwards against the steps. They thrusted themselves into a faster pace as they gripped the railing and then swung around to the next flight of stairs. Rowan felt her heart hammering against her chest as she was the last of the six to enter the second floor of the building. While the rest of them ran from door to door, hoping to get one that was unlocked, Rowan kept trying to tell herself everything's okay.

I'm fine. I'm really great. Werewolves? Ha. I've been watching too much of The Vampire Diaries.

She panted heavily as everyone ran past the next four doors. The sound of thundering footsteps echoed from behind Rowan as she sped up her pace. Finally, one of the six people pushed open a door that led to the Mr. Harris's Chemistry classroom. As soon as everyone entered, Rowan being the last one, Scott shoved a random chair he found underneath the doorknob. Lydia and Jackson leant up against one lab table as Allison propped herself against the wall. Stiles and Scott watched the window closely and Rowan paced around the room.

She wrapped her arms around her torso, nibbling at the fingernail of her thumb as everyone breathed so heavily.

Stay positive. I'll be fine. I am fine. Werewolves don't exist. You were stupid to think they're real.

Stiles gripped Scott's shoulder as a looming shadow passed the door, footsteps sounding from the other side. All six pairs of eyes watched as the silhouette walked by, not even bothering to check if anyone was inside the classroom. Rowan didn't understand how "Derek" didn't even hear her heart pump rapidly. It was so loud to her own ear drums.

As everyone held their breath, "Derek's" shadow flickering through the crack beneath the door, the murderer growled so lowly that Rowan's eyes widened.

Can a human even make that noise? That's gotta be a werewolf. Rowan pinched herself harder than she has ever had before, creating crescent shaped indents in her tan skin. It left an irritated, red blotch, and it didn't even snap her out of her own thoughts. I'm losing it. I'm going insane. This is like New York City all over again. A person, a human being, killed my family. Not a monster.

"Jackson, how many people can you fit in your car?" Scott asked as soon as the shadow passed the room.

Rowan began to hyperventilate, clutching her forehead as paced up and down in front of the desk. Everyone was too busy trying to regulate their own breathing as Rowan lost control of her's.

"Five, if someone squeezes on someone's lap," Jackson stated, and Allison furrowed her eyebrows.

She shook her head in disagreement, as she looked between Scott and Jackson in astonishment. "Five? Rowan and I barely fit in the back," she whispered.

Rowan shook her head, now clenching her fists at her sides as she paused her pacing. She felt her nails dig into her own skin as she looked over at Jackson. "The whole car ride here, I had Allison's foot up my ass. Don't you dare say five," she said and everyone look at her.

Rowan crossed her arms over her chest, but lifted one hand to her mouth and began to chew at all her fingernails in fear. Stiles glanced at her before looking at everyone else in shame.

"It doesn't matter. There's no getting out without drawing attention," he whispered. Allison sighed, leaning her head against the wall to let out a frustrated groan. Lydia looked petrified as her eyes were wide in shock. There really was no way of getting out of here alive.

Rowan laughed to herself nervously. "He can't kill us all right?" she asked. Everyone in the room stared as the brunette nervously chuckled to herself. In a matter of moments, the laughter morphed into a pathetic whimper. "I mean, we could just run in different directions and treat this like The Hunger Games," Rowan said and Allison noticed the hint of humor in her voice. That's when Allison pushed herself off the wall, knowing her best friend was going to fall apart any moment.