FOURTEEN ➳ BREATHING

"Mom, Dad?" Rowan called out, entering the penthouse way past curfew. She's never regretted anything more in her entire life. Instead of the cute shirt she snuck out of the house with, she was wearing an I <3 NYC hoodie she stole from the closet of that dreadful bedroom.

As Rowan stalked up the staircases to the bedrooms, the house was eerily quiet. It's supposed to be quiet, she thought to herself as her shaking hand clutched onto the railing. They're all sleeping. While she walked, Rowan felt chills run up and down her spine like someone was tracing her back. She spun around quickly, to see nothing but her living room.

Shaking her head, she kept walking. Rowan quickly went to the bathroom, brushing her teeth before bed and pulling off her party clothes to exchange it for a fluffy, bath robe. As she looked at reflection, she frowned. The girl in the mirror reminded Rowan that tonight could possibly be the worst night of her life. What else could go wrong?

She heard a clatter of metal hit the floor, snapping her out of her intense stare on her own self. Rowan poked her head out of the bedroom door, hair tied up in a messy bun. Still, that stubborn piece of hair fell onto her face as she stepped out of the bathroom.

"Grayson?" she called out to be met with a dark silence. Rowan flinched when his bedroom door creaked open.

When her curiosity got the best of her, she took a step forward, the floorboards underneath her squeaking at her weight. Rowan hissed in fear, thinking that it would wake her parents, but when she turned to their door, it was quiet.

She slowly walked over to her brother's door, mindful of where she placed her feet. "Gray?" she called through the slightly open door. No one replied, so she assumed he was sleeping.

Rowan began to walk away, satisfied that she wasn't caught by her family. Then, a feeling of dread overwhelmed her senses as the sound of heavy breathing and snarls emitted from Grayson's bedroom door. Curiosity got the best of her and Rowan returned back outside her brother's room.

"Grayson?" she said. The growling stopped. Concerned, Rowan called out his name one more time to only hear the soft noises of the city. Finally, she pushed open his bedroom door—

The sound of Rowan's ringtone scared her awake to the point where she felt her heart jump out of her throat. She clamped her hand to her forehead and checked the clock on her nightstand, seeing that it was only around eight o' clock at night. Rowan looked down at herself, realizing she fell asleep while doing homework.

Thankfully, she changed into a pair of yoga pants and a camisole before starting that thick Chemistry packet. Rowan shivered as the breeze from her open window tickled at her skin. Before she could get up to close it, her phone rang once more and she remembered why she was even awake in the first place.

Not even checking the Caller ID, Rowan pressed the green button and held the phone against her ear. "Hello?" she croaked, surprised that her throat was that dry from a two hour nap. Aw man, I missed dinner. Rowan climbed out of bed and ripped a thin black cardigan off of her hanger to pull over her shoulders. She raked her fingers through her hair to fix the mess and then slipped on a pair of moccasins.

"Oh, you're actually awake for once," Allison's voice said through the phone.

Although the black haired girl couldn't see Rowan, the both of they knew that she rolled her eyes on the other side. Rowan exited her room to descend the stairs for a glass of milk and a snack before finishing her Chemistry homework.

"Yeah, what do you need?" Rowan asked, entering the kitchen and turning the lights on. They flickered a bit before illuminating the entire room.

She stalked towards the cabinets and reached for the cookies on the top shelf. Rowan thought she almost pulled a muscle from the way she stretched her body to get to the snack.