Chapter 11: Collision Course

(Song: Collide by Howie Day)

The dawn is breaking
A light shining through
You're barely waking
And I'm tangled up in you

Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We’re supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family, happy to just be alive… whether we like it or not.Maybe we’re not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude… has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human.
Maybe we’re thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we’re thankful for the things we’ll never know.
At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing… is reason enough to celebrate.

It had snowed that night. A dirty greyish dusty snow that crunched under her boots as Clarke left the confines of the tent early in the morning. There were still a few hours left until sunrise.

Raven was sleeping peacefully. She looked at her wistfully, dragged the covers up to cover the girl, and left the tent. Octavia and Indra will be back in a few hours after the watch.

Clarke walked to the bank of the stream and sat down on a boulder. She breathed out and realized that she had been unconsciously holding her breath as if someone was going to hear her breathing. She wasn't wrong. She was doing what made her feel happy. It was supposed to make her feel better, right? Happier. Freer. Being with someone who liked you back. So why did it still feel so messed up.

"You know we must really stop meeting at river banks in the middle of the night. People might get the wrong idea."

Clarke didn't have to turn around to see who it was.

"What are you doing here now, Lexa?"

"I was sparring, Clarke. Practicing."

"Then go back to it," Clarke said, without turning back to look at her.

"You've disturbed my practice already."

"I honestly couldn't care less."

The footsteps on the gravel came closer until Lexa appeared into Clarke's line of sight, and sat down beside her.

I'm open, you're closed
Where I follow, you'll go
I worry I won't see your face
Light up again

The stream was partially frozen, giving off an unearthly sheen in the darkness of the night. Lexa propped her sword on the ground and rested her pals and chin on the hilt. They sat there silently until Lexa broke the silence hesitantly.

"If my apology meant anything, I would apologize to you, Clarke."

"Since you've already assumed it doesn't mean anything, don't try, Lexa."

"We all have a Mount Weather, Clarke. We all have our own Mount Weathers."

Clarke simply nodded and sighed.

"I wish I had someone to blame it on. But I know I would have done the same thing. We're always so busy trying to save what's ours, we don't see what we are doing to the ones around us."