Chapter 1: Cut Love

"Are you sure about this, Lex?"

"Sure about what?" Lexa looked up from the map she had been studying intently to look at Costia, sprawled on her bed, her mouth pursed in thought.

"About this alliance marriage," Costia clarified. Inspite of Lexa's continued reassurances, she had a gnawing sense of worry at the pit of her stomach.

"Sure about its importance for the alliance, yes. We need this against Azgeda," Lexa sighed and titled her head at Costia. "You know that, Cos."

"But are you sure your wife will understand our...how do I put it...arrangement.." Costia said and sat up.

Lexa looked at the beautiful black haired beauty on her bed, and felt the pangs of guilt tug at her. What did she think she could do...give Costia a good life?

She placed her quill down, and walked over to the bed, and sat down beside Costia. "I'm Heda, Cos. And I love you. And everyone will do as I say. I'll make sure of that."

Costia nodded, and then looked up at Lexa, "Have you seen her?"

"Once, during the Coalition talks."

"Is she pretty?"

"In a way, I guess..." Lexa shrugged. Clarke Griffin. Blond, blue eyed, and innocent. She wondered why the last adjective came to her mind. She hadn't even interacted with Clarke to know if she was innocent or not. Maybe there was something about the way she looked had at Lexa when she had proposed marriage to the Chancellor's daughter. Little had Lexa known that Clarke was Abigail's daughter. Gender had never been a factor for the Grounders, and she had hoped that neither it should be for the Arkadians. Turned out that survival does drive inconsequential things like gender out of the equation. Both the clans knew they needed an alliance, and the decision had been easy and swift.

Lexa's only trouble was Costia. She had grown up with Costia, even before she had been called to lead her people. And even after taking up command, she had searched Costia out. Costia kept her grounded. Costia reminded her of everything home. She felt like home.

"You're scared about us?" Lexa asked, reaching out to place her plan on her cheek reassuringly.

"Give me one reason I shouldn't be, Lex. You're getting married! You'll be sharing your bed with someone else..."

"Someone I don't care about. We knew something like this might happen, you know that, right?"

"What if she likes you?"

"She won't" a small laugh escaped Lexa's mouth. "You've known me all my life. You haven't seen how the Heda is, with strangers, Cos."

"Youll simply intimidate her your whole life and carry this on with me?"

"Is that not what you want?"

"Do I have an option to disagree?"

Lexa moved closer to Costia and took her into her arms, hugging her, her neck resting on Costia's shoulder.
"I love you, Cos. I'll never let you go."

Costia nodded. Lexa closed her eyes, and hoped she would be able to keep her promise.

***

"She's beautiful"

"And scary, O"

"I've been serving her for a year now, Clarke. She's alright. Not the monster everyone makes her out to be. She has her moments."

"Yes, she has her mo..fuck, you look beautiful, Griffin," Raven entered the room and smiled at Clarke dressed in all white.

"PrincessCommander it is, Rey, pay up" Octavia said.

"Wait, you guys were betting on me and the Heda?"

"No, we were betting on you and Ra-"

"Ahem! We have to get her ready fast, O" Raven interrupted Octavia. A silent something passed between that left Clarke feeling a little confused. Octavia seemed to understand whatever Raven had implied and nodded, a slightly sad look on her face.

"Give us a moment, Octavia?" Raven asked.

"Sure," Octavia nodded, looked at Raven, and exited the tent.

Raven came up to Clarke and knelt down on front of her.

"You look beautiful, Griffin"

"Thanks, Rey... I'm so nervous"

"Don't be... I've been talking to Octavia. She says the Heda is not as scary as she puts it out to be."

Clarke nodded.

"You're positive you want to do this? You can still back out, you know?"

"We all have to do what we have to do, Rey," Clarke said. It's our only chance against the Ice Nation.

"Clarke...if you ever need anything... Anything at all...or if this Heda ever mistreat s you... I'll be there, ok? You have to let me know."

"I know,  Rey" she smiled.

Raven looked at Clarke a little sadly, "Ever since we landed here, we've had our differences, but I want you know that I think you're a brave and beautiful person, Griffin. And the Commander is one lucky son of a bitch to marry you. Always remember that, ok?"

"OK, you'll make me cry now" Clarke half joked, half sobbed.

"Go, your wife is waiting" Raven said, and stood up. "Go get married, Griffin," she laughed.

As Clarke walked out of the tent, Raven clutched her leg and sat down. It still pained like a bitch. She tried to tell herself that she was feeling so empty for the sharp shooting pain in her leg. She sighed and shook her head. There was lots to do, and Raven Reyes wasn't the one to let anything come in the way of her work.

---

A/n: To anyone reading this-thank you. This is my second clexa book after Warpaint. This will have 3 main OTPs, which I think you've figured out by now. What do you think? Also, this will be slow burn. And pretty short chapter with quite some time jumps. No frill characters or scenes. Will post once a week or twice.