15 - In Pieces - Mothering Sunday

If everyone in the world knew someone who felt like a mum...

We all need to feel loved. Some of us really don't feel it, even from the very beginning of our lives. 

Mothering Sunday is hard for people who haven't felt the love and protection that is celebrated around the world on this day. 

Some of us grieve for the loss of a mother's love having never known it. 

Ed Sheeran's song is really touching for those who have lost that beautiful kind of love, and for those who haven't yet found it.

In Carmel we do have another mother. We have the mother of God. With her there is acceptance and listening, and in the quiet of your heart, you will find her teaching and her comforting. There is nothing you can't tell her. As you grow, you realise, she's seen a lot and been through so much, she is more than an image in your mind and heart. She has immense depth. She was active, proactive, and interventionist. More of this soon.

If you weren't or aren't loved, you are not alone. Maybe you are taking flowers to someone who hurts you on this weekend of Lent. Maybe you have lost or broken contact.

Perhaps one day love will come, and all that you are and all you have done will be appreciated. This happens. But maybe it will not come. Maybe not. Maybe the mother can't do it. Can't face something or let go of something. And can't let the love in.

So this weekend Mothering Sunday for some people will be the most painful day of the year. 

Be kind to yourself. Look around and see where your nourishment comes from. Celebrate that. Gravitate towards people who sow love.

Nourish your own heart and soul. Care for and protect the child in you.

*****************

Mental and emotional abuse is just as real as physical harm. Seek help, maybe through school or college. A telephone support service can also offer guidance on next steps. Choose a reputable phone service like Child Line or the Samaritans.

Cruelty is not normal. Don't let anyone tell you you have to put up with it. It is not a cross you have to bear. Cruelty is not acceptable.

Get help.