13 - Fasting and Abstinence

Breakfast (break the fast) is the most important meal of the day. Missing it can effect our health and well-being, and the work we do and the way we learn and earn. Hunger can damage our life chances. 

Fasting for religious reasons is a respectful temporary self denial, managed within the community to do no harm to you or to others.  Very different.

You can have a simple soup lunch and donate the money saved. Lots of churches host this on Fridays in Lent.

Lent is not about harsh privations. There were times in history when the churches, and the Carmel, got that wrong. Wattpad puts discussions around anorexia and other eating disorders in to the Mature category. I think the churches are doing something similar in the way they are moving away from talking about food in Lent, and are looking for the wider and equally valid broader view.

Lent is a time to think about the sacrifice Christ made for us, looking forward to the victory that He alone could win. It's an opportunity to make an extra effort, to go the extra mile with good grace for others, and for God. Beware of the vices and look to the virtues. Take stock.  

Abstinence is really important in Lent as well. 

There are so many things that we can manage better or differently. Leave the phone switched off for an hour. Take the headphones off.  Skip tv for an evening a week. What would you use the time for? 

Lent is a time to simplify. 

Give a little bit.

*********************************************************

(Supertramp - Give a little bit - he song has been disconnected. I'll put the link in one of the boxes below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7JY1OoxnU