Book 7⌇23. Fallen

Chapter 23 ∣  Fallen

-Harlan

However...I'm not quite ready to let you go, as you belong to me.

For fuck's sake!

What I thought was the last beat of my heart, was entirely wrong on so many levels. The icy feeling that had been replaced by warmth unexpectedly surged through my being with a strength I couldn't comprehend nor was able to grasp onto...because as soon as it had begun, it was over.

I gasped a breath, devouring the air greedily while my eyelids shot open. My eyes frantically darted around, hearing a very petrified Icarus scooting away on his ass as quickly as he could while stammering, "Wh-Wh-What a-ar-are y-you?"

He sounds like a scared little schoolgirl...

I furrowed my brows when my vision finally cleared, Isis turned toward Icarus while I took in her torn white dress, patches of skin shown through at her abdomen and rib cage.

"Shh, calm down Icarus," Isis tried to ease the terrified human as I shook my head, trying to understand why he was so afraid. When I stopped trying to figure out why...I got my answer loud and clear, but at first, I didn't believe it.

"N-N-No, y-you're-"

Isis sighed as she unintentionally cut the poor man off by reassuring him, "It's me, I promise it's alright."

That answer must have been just good enough for Icarus because now he only let out a very light whimper before going quiet. Isis has never elicited that type of response from the being she had protected, in fact, he made her quite nervous with the way he spoke prior to this moment. Looks like the tables have turned, appears as though he doesn't like it very much.

Power radiated from her. A very dark power that was much more magnified than when she held that purplish energy morphed into a bow. This type of power must have been almost suffocating to a mere human like Icarus.

Well...that wasn't entirely the case...

I finally learned exactly why he was so afraid.

When Isis' attention drew away from Icarus and landed on me, I inhaled air sharply into my lungs, my heart stopping for a split second. Our eyes locked, something I should have been delighted to see her beautiful blues that reflected a clear sky.

However, I was taken aback briefly by what pierced through my soul.

Isis' eyes were an obsidian black; the only remnants of her blue were that of her irises searching me in the very center of those dark pools. When she moved to allow me to slowly sit up, I absentmindedly touched my chest, the wound from the celestial blade sealed shut.

Her wings came into view when she moved, shifting on her knees as she continued to stare at me. The once winter white feathers that spanned her large wings were replaced by the same darkness that filled her eyes. Surrounding those black wings, were light flames, flickering while not burning her.

Alright...Icarus has every right to be a scared shitless little schoolgirl...after all, he's in the presence of a devil.

I eyed her momentarily.

Correction, not just a devil made, but a true fallen.

Oh, glad to see you're back.

I couldn't help but grin inwardly. My demon was safe, she halted and reversed the splice in our soul before granting me my life. I had to agree with him, devils like Isis are far and few, the original Lucifer was the only other one I ever knew of.