Book 7⌇12. Reaper

Chapter 12 ∣  Reaper

-Isis

Do I think it's necessarily a good idea to leave my varið with an incubus? No, I don't, but he's the only person I can kind of trust. He saved Ayanna's and Icarus' lives and he is starting to show me that he very well can think of others aside from himself. I just didn't want to leave Icarus...it was my job to protect him, but I need to get some advice from Shanelle before making any rash decisions.

My wings beat against the morning breeze that carried me across the sky. High up in the clouds, I let the brisk wind whip my hair back behind my shoulders, flickering in the wind as my white clothes were also tugged by the breeze. Before she left the Celestial Veil, Shanelle was the only one I could really confide in aside from my brother, but after the last conversation I had with him, me returning would only make Thaddeus believe I was completed with my assignment.

Shanelle was supposedly across the country, running into Eroth on my way, another sentinel angel who had happened to see her a few days ago. It wasn't much of a surprise to see him though as he had just returned from ensuing a soul's safe journey to the Golden Gates where Arsenios would be waiting for them.

"Where's your varið?" He had asked me, and I'd come up with an excuse that I needed to find Thaddeus and apparently...that was alright. It would have been another thing entirely if I had merely mentioned that Harlan was watching him. Yes, that would go over quite well, and I'd be thrown out of Heaven quicker than I could blink.

After searching for Shanelle, I caught the radiance of her light, an aura that travels and surrounds an angelic being. I recognized hers right away, weaving through the city buildings until I came to a suburban area. My eyes scanned the area and when I thought maybe I'd been led astray, I caught sight of her sitting on an elevate tree branch not too far from a very nice looking home.

As I flew closer to her, she saw me and waved me down with this enormous smile on her face. I returned hers with a warm smile of my own, letting my wings fold against my back as my bare feet touched down on the tree limb.

"Isis!" She wrapped her arms around me, pulling me closer to her. I giggled and slowly broke out of her death grip of a hold while she composed herself sheepishly. "What are you doing out here? How'd you find me? Is your assignment finally completed?" One question after the next fired off from her mouth and I waited until she was practically out of air and she had to catch her breath.

"Shanelle, I'm doing just fine. Actually, the reason I am out here is to ask you something in regard to my assignment," she stared at me curiously before I also finished with, "Eroth saw you."

Eroth was Shanelle's Link just a few years ago. They brought into this world a new angel that was growing by the day under the watchful eye of the true guardians of Heaven, priming them for when they too would join our ranks.

Shanelle replied, "Oh, of course, he did," she rolled her eyes but then said, "He's never that far from me anymore, not since we joined as a Link. He makes sure that I'm alright and not having any issues with my assignment. I don't know, there's a part of me that doesn't believe this linking should be a one-time deal...I-" her voice trailed off, her cheeks turning red and embarrassment flooding her features. When she finally found the words, she whispered, "I developed...feelings for Eroth..."

My eyes widened and before I could say anything, Shanelle lifted her hands up in her defense and said, "I know, I know, we don't form lasting bonds or connections," her eyes gazed off into the distance as she sighed, "but still..."

"Shanelle, I think that's perfectly fine to want what we cannot have, but wouldn't that ruin your assignments, always thinking about Eroth?" I asked her gently, not wanting to offend her in the slightest, because I already knew my heart was slowly falling down that pathway myself, only it wasn't with my Link, but what I'm now believing very well might be my soulmate.