Book 7⌇19. It's a Cold Day in Hell

Chapter 19 ∣  It's a Cold Day in Hell

-Isis

Icarus was sitting uncomfortably on the couch, attempting to shake the unavoidable seduction feeling from encountering Harlan, his eyes snapping up from his hands the second I flew through the open window. As I expected to break physically through the next wall, I did not, Harlan leaning back as I fully impacted with him instead, his arms wrapped around my back and calming me instantaneously.

He may have calmed my unsteady beating heart, but the pain remained. I lifted my forehead away from his chest, tilting my chin up to meet with his electric blue eyes.

"Whoa..." Icarus' voice trailed off, "your wings...looks like you got upgrades."

If only I could see it that way, but all I could see was losing everything here on Earth.

It was hard because I didn't want Harlan to see this, but a small grimace crept onto my face and he narrowed his eyes, "Fluffy wings..."

"I-I'm fine," I got out, trying to control myself while asking, "What was it that was so important that you pulled us all away from the Augmented Institute like that?"

"Really...I want to know the same thing," Icarus added, "I have a celebration to get to...and not feel like I've just been violated."

Harlan's eyes didn't unlock from my own as he responded to Icarus, "You'd be singing a new tune if I really wanted to seduce you," he paused while Icarus scoffed at him in irritation, but he then said to me, "What's wro-"

"Nothing, Harlan...please tell me...what happened?" I got out through gritted teeth, his hold on me tensing at the way my words came out. He didn't want to let this go, but I pleaded him with my eyes, his touch alone already bringing out my own desires I'd blocked out and kept down since he last touched me. The heat sparking just beneath my skin was mixing with the pain...but it slowly began to soothe it the longer his touch lingered.

When he realized he wasn't going to get anything from me, his leathery bat-like wings folded against his back while he stated, "Lilith isn't a pureblood vampire."

"Oh, believe me, we got the just of that," Icarus rolled his eyes and I peered out of the corner of my eye at the look he sent my way, "the VV1-I isn't entirely finished-"

"Yes, it is."

"Yes, it is..."

Both Harlan and I glanced at each other again, our words almost coming out at the same time. The reason I knew it worked, was because of my contract being completed...but how did Harlan know?

"What?" Icarus looked between the two of us for answers, but I was afraid of what Harlan's was more so than mine.

"Fluffy wings?" He asked and this time I couldn't ignore him because I'd answered Icarus' question.

I breathed out and replied to the both of them, "My contract has ended," I directed the next portion of my statement toward Icarus, "you are no longer my varið Icarus Rewan...that's how I know you have completed the virus."

"But Lilith...how?" Icarus scratched the back of his head, trying to figure out the pieces in which he and I were completely lost. Exactly how did she avoid death?

Harlan, however, knew the answer to that question as he said, "I was enjoying my time snooping through her office when I came across a lovely bunch of letters. Letters that have spanned over a thousand years and from piecing everything together...she's possibly a very dangerous hybrid."

"A hunter?" Icarus asked.

"No stupid," Harlan was already irritated and I wondered if that was partially my fault because I wouldn't let him in and tell him the rest of what happened after my contract ended. When he glared at Icarus he finished, "She's a crossbreed between a pureblood vampire and a succubus. I honestly have absolutely no idea who her mother is...or was, didn't say anything about that, however, her stepmother was Elora."