Book 7⌇5. The Celestial Veil: Link

Chapter 5 ∣  The Celestial Veil: Link

-Isis

What is?

What was...?

How?

I don't understand...

This is impossible, this can't be happening.

My mind was racing and trying to grasp onto exactly what I'd just experienced. I clutched my arms across my chest, holding myself while my eyes remained on the white surface beneath me as my wings beat the air around me. I'm not sure entirely of when I'd left Earth and sailed close to the Golden Gates, the Celestial Veil fast approaching, but now there was a part of me regretting leaving in the first place.

He was killing me...that incubus was trying to take my energy and perhaps my soul. But he couldn't...or he wouldn't and stopped himself. In his eyes, there was something I'd never seen before from anyone let alone a demon.

I can still see the look on his face, the image imprinting in my brain. There was almost like a battle taking place within him and that confused me further because it shouldn't have been a question whether to kill me. I should be dead; angels and demons pitted against each other since the beginning of time.

My feathery wings moved past the souls that were waiting to be admitted into Heaven, my left hand reaching up and rubbing the front of my neck absentmindedly. His touch, even from just his tail, it drew me in and made me feel something I didn't think an angel was capable of. I didn't want these thoughts though; I didn't want to allow myself to fall prey to his game.

"Isis?" The deep voice brought me out of my thoughts, my hand falling away when I caught sight of Arsenios. The Keeper of the Book lifted his eyes to meet my own while he sat on a chair with that very book before him on a platform. The souls were protected by sentinel angels on their journey to Heaven, kind of what a reaper does for the Devil.

His deep brown eyes met with my own, his blonde hair pushed back away from his face as he let the page, he was about to turn flutter back down. I breathed in sharply and let my wings fold against my back, my feet touching the ground. The faces of the uncertain...the scared...each one of those souls wondering exactly what would become of them stood in a neat line.

"Isis, are you alright?" Arsenios once again spoke, the soul directly in front of his platform remaining silent while I just swallowed hard. I didn't want to tell him what happened...because then I'd have to admit that the demon was seducing me. I couldn't...I wouldn't. It would be a sign of weakness and I'd probably be pulled from my assignment for fear that the demon would either try to kill me again or corrupt me.

I can't jeopardize Icarus' safety. I must protect him until he finishes that virus.

"I'm okay, I just need to speak with my brother," it was one way of getting around the book keeper's question. He was sweet and kind, reassuring everyone that everything happens for a reason and that they are here because they were destined to. He was the perfect angel for the job, and I valued his concern...it just wasn't needed in this case.

Arsenios nodded and replied, "Azriel should be free, he's not had an assignment for a month now."

At his words, the gates behind him opened. The light and hope in the souls' faces were almost too much for me...I knew some of them were here and weren't meant to be. It didn't happen often, but there were always those that you could just feel that their presence was unwelcome here. It wouldn't be until Arsenios spoke with the soul and did not find their name within the book that the issue would come to light.

I tried not to think about it as it brought pain from the past...

"Take care Isis, you shouldn't leave Earth for long," always the caring angel, Arsenios sent me on my way with a cheery smile. He was right though...I can't leave Icarus for long especially after what had just happened, but I needed to see my brother. I needed to get his advice without directly telling him about my problem.