Book 7⌇21. Face My Fears

Chapter 21 ∣  Face My Fears

-Isis

Harlan was right on my heels, following me out into the now chaos ridden streets. He was exclaiming things to me, but I'd blocked him out, my eyes hesitantly glued to the sentinel angels that hovered against the background of the dark sky. I hardly paid any attention to Lilith, her own eyes continually scanning the streets and enjoying the results of Icarus' handy work.

Isis.

That's my name, and it seems to be ringing around me like a bell chime. I felt hands grasp my shoulders, halting my steps, but I continued to stare off with uncertainty.

"Isis," this time I heard Harlan's voice break through the void barrier I'd thrown up, affected by his tone as his grip on my shoulders altered so that he was now standing in front of me. My eyes lowered slowly to meet his, and I saw his own concern swirling around in those purple depths.

"Are you s-"

I cut him off, "They are only here for me." Maybe there was some part of him that wanted to believe that what Lilith had unleashed was not part of a holy plan, but the sentinel angels made no move to stop the pureblood. This was meant to happen, but I wasn't meant to linger on Earth as I had, to allow a demon to claim and mark me, to have sex with him...

This was not part of the plan.

Or was it? By who's design should I question an inescapable pull?

No one.

Harlan continued to study me, but my eyes fell away from his captivating gaze. I watched as the horror continued to unfold, death and decay not only terrifying those afflicted by it but by human bystanders who were just as confused and held no answers alongside the hunters.

This is true evil, to wipe out an entire species without question.

The vampires have never shown any kindness, just compromise. Isn't that what living among diversity is supposed to be like?

"Isis, please, don't-"

My eyes snapped away from the bloodshed scene and returned to rest on Harlan, my look cutting him right off.

"What if this isn't the end to immortals playing God?" I questioned him and he just returned my question with a confused look.

"What are you talking about?" He finally spoke up and I sighed in return and glanced up and over my shoulder to the apartment window in which Icarus sat behind. His own fear was reflected and even he seemed to be guilty and remorseful for the weapon he had created.

None of this is right, it's not the work of angels, but that of demons disguised behind celestial beings. We don't question but follow...this is what happens when taken to the fullest extent.

Still looking up at Icarus, I replied to Harlan, "What if it's decided that humans are no longer fit to live on this Earth? I don't want to be associated with anything like this...but I will protect Icarus' safety," I looked toward the demon hybrid Lilith and stated, "what's to say she won't destroy what is left of the humans once her focus is no longer on that of the vampire race? I won't allow that to happen-"

"She's too powerful Isis," Harlan abruptly halted me, "she's a very old hybrid and possibly incredibly dangerous to the extent that she may very well be able to kill you with little effort. You're not her focus, don't put yourself in that position...please."

"You're right," I smiled at him and he furrowed his brows. I lifted my chin to the skies and noticed Thaddeus still searching, "I have to take care of something else first."