I hate fakers sequel (Chapter 15)

4 months pregnant

“I want popcorn” I pout as Jayden talks with my father about some legal stuff. I know I should be paying more attention to this conversation considering that it is for our business, but lately all I seem to be able to think about is popcorn.

“Sure baby” Jayden replies as he rubs his thumb gently over my stomach. I know Jayden doesn’t mean to dismiss my mumblings, because he has been extremely busy lately with our business and helping my dad with the case against Conrad. I frown when my thoughts direct towards Conrad, and I narrow my eyes at the cushion by my feet. I imagine that the cushion is Conrad’s head so I swiftly kick it off the couch and start giggling uncontrollably.

As I am nestled in Jaydens side, he pecks the side of my head and whispers “Are you okay baby?” with a hint of a smile in his tone.

“Popcorn” I mumble in response while sinking further into his embrace. I must commend my father for having such a comfortable couch in his office. I swear I am so comfortable right now, I could happily stay exactly as I am until I give birth. Okay, slight exaggeration, and besides that would be gross.

“Yes, I will make you some popcorn shortly.” Jayden replies and then kisses my temple again before resuming his conversation with my father.

A little while later, my father mentions Conrad and my ears immediately perk up and I turn my gaze to my father. Although my father and Jayden now openly discuss Conrad around me, it doesn’t make things any easier for Jayden and he still tenses slightly.

“Conrad’s lawyers are still trying to strike a deal” my father informs as he hunts out a stray file on his desk. The audacity, at times I really do question our justice system.

“Is there anything we can do to stop it?” Jayden asks as he pulls me closer to him.

I snuggle in his embrace but still listen attentively as my father replies “I will try son” and then his gaze softens when he looks at me “baby girl. I promise to do everything I can”

Smiling in response, I reply “I know you will daddy.”

My father simply nods in response, shares a glance with Jayden and then promptly dismisses us. I must question what that glance meant. Im sure they don’t have some sort of telepathic powers, and I sincerely hope that they aren’t keeping anything from me. If how I reacted the last time at their secret keeping is any indication, they know full well that they shouldn’t keep things from me.

As soon as we exit my fathers office I ask Jayden “What was that look about?” and I turn around to face him and give him my best ‘don’t you even think about playing ignorant’ look.

My look seems to work because Jayden runs a hand through his hair and then leads me down the hallway as he admits “You will think it is stupid”

“Please Jayden” I urge as we round the corner to my fathers kitchen area.

Jayden helps me into a stool and then makes his way to the pantry, probably to get me some popcorn. I don’t want the popcorn to distract me and I am about to ask Jayden again when he replies “We are just worried about you baby. I want to be with you constantly, and if not me then someone else I completely trust.”

“You’re right, that is stupid” I mutter as I pick up an apple off the counter. I look up at Jayden and notice the hurt expression on his face and my heart stutters.

“Im sorry Jayden” I quickly add as I hop down from the counter and make my way towards him. I wrap my arms around his waist tightly and his arms automatically find their way around mine.